• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I just bought 2 486 motherboards. Have any opinions?

Well the manual does already make false claims, by saying that the board was made by Olivetti :) but it's right about the 386. It will support a 386, if you solder one in the space designated for it (which I highlighted in red in my picture).

I can understand why you are confused. That "socket" is really 2 different sockets put into one, as shown in my picture. You can try to put a 386 in there if you want, but it won't even fit.

Is it fair to say that this board can support a 386 if installing one requires soldering it to the board? Yes because, while it may seem like an extremely daunting task to a person, to a factory it's nothing at all, and some of these boards did come out of the factory with a 386 in them. Yours wasn't one of them, but solder a 386 in there and it would work.

I know but, manufacturing a board with ICs that are all at least 2 years old seems like quite a stretch to me, can't say I've ever seen that before.

And in the case of this motherboard, it simply does not look like something that was made in 1990. Not even 1991 I'd say. 1992 would make sense, and what I believe is the official manual from FIC themselves has a date of September 1992.

If the VIA chipset found on the board wasn't invented yet in 1990 then yes they would've had to wait for its creation before making a batch of printed circuit boards made for it. And I even have reasons to believe that the chipset was invented in 1992 but in conclusion, I am certain that it was created in 1992, the particular one discussed in this thread could've been made in 1993, 1994 seems like a stretch but theoretically it could be possible. This is why I date it to have been made in either 1992 or 1993.

missing chip on 1st board.jpg

Sorry for moving too fast with all these previous posts I've sent, but I looked at my first board and it is missing a chip from the cache slots. I have outlined it in red. What is missing from the set and how will not having it affect the operation of the board?

Last edited:
Guess I'll have to wait to ask my super busy retro-tech friend. Hopefully it's just one missing cache chip, not a tag ram chip. I wish I knew if it would be no problem to swap the chips from this board to my new Socket 2 VESA board... Sorry if my lack of knowledge on Pre-Pentium stuff is annoying to anybody.

It should be a missing cache chip and not a tag ram chip.

To me it seems like that wouldn't be a problem. Look at how similar their model numbers are... The ones on the FIC are IS61C256A-20N and the ones on the Tekram are UM61256CK-20. The first two letters on both simply refer to the manufacturer... The rest seems pretty similar, right.

That's a relief. :) So my only deal now would be to upgrade the cache size. I hope the amount I have now is decent enough, they might be small in Kilobytes per chip. Later on I can find a replacement tag ram chip to make the other board work. So based on your advice, I'll go ahead and try to swap cache chips. I hope I can figure out which one in the set is the tag ram used for my bronze colored FIC board. I'm guessing the tag ram chip is one of the two smaller sized chips below the top rows, right?

I just sent the seller on Ebay a message asking if he has any tag ram chips available to sell. If yes, I'll not do the swap.

might be the tag ram slot.jpg

In the above photo, is the red outlined chip slot used for the tag ram? Could I just move one of the nine IS61C256A-20N chips from my bronze colored FIC board to this empty slot in order to completely fix the problem with my Tekram board?

Last edited:
Good specs on your version. But weren't those Trident 512K vga cards kinda crappy? No offense. I had 3 or so of them and they all had problems. All three cards would randomly switch between color and black & white display when powered on in a system. I couldn't find any jumpers on the card's PCB to fix the issue. Also, there are absolutely no drivers for Windows 95 and even having one of these cards in a Win95 system made it become very unstable. When I replaced it with a different video card, the problems went away.
Yeah, That Trident card is a pile of crap, and I have the same B&W/Color issue, sometimes have to powercycle a few times for color, but it was the only ISA VGA card I had when I built this rig, I do want to upgrade it at some point, but this machine was built 100% from parts I had lying around, nothing bought so far lol.

That's a relief. :) So my only deal now would be to upgrade the cache size. I hope the amount I have now is decent enough, they might be small in Kilobytes per chip. Later on I can find a replacement tag ram chip to make the other board work. So based on your advice, I'll go ahead and try to swap cache chips. I hope I can figure out which one in the set is the tag ram used for my bronze colored FIC board. I'm guessing the tag ram chip is one of the two smaller sized chips below the top rows, right?

I just sent the seller on Ebay a message asking if he has any tag ram chips available to sell. If yes, I'll not do the swap.

View attachment 37589

In the above photo, is the red outlined chip slot used for the tag ram? Could I just move one of the nine IS61C256A-20N chips from my bronze colored FIC board to this empty slot in order to completely fix the problem with my Tekram board?
You should be able to swap the cache chips across those two boards, part numbers on those cache chips look so close they are likely matches for same size/speed (though I did not look for data sheets), You certainly won't hurt anything trying it though.

RWallmow -

I never had issues with the PCI versions though.. But I sold all my old Trident ISA cards. My perfectionism got the best of me. :p
If I had a Pentium 60 or 66, I'd only want one without the math bug...

You should be able to swap the cache chips across those two boards, part numbers on those cache chips look so close they are likely matches for same size/speed (though I did not look for data sheets), You certainly won't hurt anything trying it though.

I wish to know, are the chips used for L2 cache and the tag ram interchangeable?

I never once had a problem with many TVGAs I had. But, they all went to the landfill before possibly failing of old age.

Back