• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

i need help

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
Hello,
My 1992 quantex and 1990 DSI both say, when started up, "BOOT DISK FAILURE, REPLACE BOOT DISK AND PRESS ENTER", my brother picked these both up at a garage sale for 5 bucks, so i don't know if the hard drives are bad, or if there is no OS on it or something, i have fiddled around the the CMOS for hours on them, and i am stumped.

The first thing you should check is if the set up has been lost due to bad cmos battery. You probobally just have to configure the disk drives in the bios. You may have to address the cmos battery if this works until the machine is shut off.

Last edited:
Well, here's my questions. First what type of hard drive is in there? I remember a lot of times having to manually set the hard drive cylinder, volume settings. You're going to have to open it up and see what you have inside. Maybe the hard drive was removed prior to sale? Is there a floppy disk in the drive? Is it bad? These are a few of the things that can be the problem.

A good but not always 100% accurate way to tell if your battery is bad is if the time is correct. I have actually seen a few systems that will keep the correct time but change other settings when the battery is going bad. CR2032 is the most common type if that is the problem and can be found most places including Radio Shack.

Vince

Back