• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 4690 Series POS

SwedaGuy

Experienced Member
I hope this will pass in off-topic, it's not quite vintage yet, but getting there...

I have an IBM POS system (6 complete terminals plus parts, the on-line controller and some supplies) I'm looking to offload. It was pulled from a Sak's store a few years back, but I never used it for what I thought I could, and it's taking up shelf space I would like to recover.

So, if you're interested, PM or post here and we can make pick-up arrangements--it's really too much stuff to ship.

Thanks!

Interested in your system. O/S included?

Interested in your system. O/S included?

Does the system come with the 4690 O/S?

What is your asking price with shipping to the Pittsburgh, PA area?
May not need all 6 terminals.

Thanks,
vvv352

Unbelievable...

Just this very morning one of those ebay sellers came and picked up the system. Honestly. How is that for irony?

Anyway, the answer to your question about the OS is no, as these were set up with a 3270 controller for connection to an IBM mainframe of some sort. I don't remember what the exact model code was anymore, but they had the Coax interface instead of a store loop.

On the other hand, I have a copy of the 4690 OS, V2R3M0. It certainly isn't the new kid on the block, but it was a stable release. Mind you, it's just the OS (on 25 floppies) not the GSA, but it is new in shrink wrap. I was going to keep it, as it doesn't take up much space, but if I had an interesting offer, I'm sure I could be persuaded to part with it.

You know, I happened to think, that I should ask:

Are you specifically needing to be an IBM environment? If not, perhaps I can recommend an alternative. My business (one of them, anyway) is POS, and I am familiar with a variety of integrated systems. Let me know if I can help.

Back