• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm 5150 back to the future!

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
I have a few 5150's, been trying to get them all back to some sort of Vintage State, that means no VGA or 3.5 Floppy Drive,
any-how two of them have Fujitsu 8088's, how crappy can it get eh?

So searching around, I managed to buy two Intel Made D8088'S, interesting thing, they are both NEW, should I play a drum roll here or something
as these two CPU's find their proper home after LONG LONG WAIT.

:rolleyes:

So searching around, I managed to buy two Intel Made D8088'S, interesting thing, they are both NEW

Almost always there are some Intel made D8088 and P8088 listed on eBay. And yes, apparently it was a lot of surplus chips, so some of them survived in like-new condition till these days.

But other than that I am wondering why/how Fujitsu 8088 chips got into your 5150's. As far as I know IBM was installing either Intel or AMD chip (or perhaps even AMD ones were installed only in later models). And Fujitsu 8088 doesn't look like a good upgrade for Intel 8088 (not as NEC V20), unless the motherboard was modded to support higher CPU frequency which is unlikely.

BTW there are no software detectable differences between 8088 produced by different vendors. (If you know about any, I'll be glad to know too :)). And I did find that not-Intel chips are usually more stable (less sensitive to noise and overheating). So there is not much sense in doing this replacement other than for aesthetic value of Intel chips in ceramic package. [but if you ask me Soviet KM1810VM88 in white ceramic with gold plated leads looks much nicer :) and it also indistinguishable from Intel 8088]

If you have a really old IBM PC and want to be it in a really original state, you should probably look for Intel 8088 made prior to 1981, with (C) INTEL'78 copyright... These ones had "MOV SS" bug...

Last edited:
Back