• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 monochrome monitor video problem

I got it!! I found out the one card I have is a WD90C00 and I set the switchs to auto detect and sure enough, I got video! (On a VGA monitor of course). I would still like to eventually get the mono monitor working. Just because it's helps give the "vintage feel" that I want.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help! I really appreciate it! :D

That's rather disappointing that my card is stripped of the VGA stuff. It's only two components though. I haven't looked to see if that missing IC chip is rare but if I find one of those, a suitable VGA jack, and burn the proper bios in the eprom, do you guys think it would work?
It may, but there could be other differences. I just compared your card to mine again, and I am not convinced that the large chips are the same (e.g. your chips may not be VGA capable).

Another interesting thing about the monitor, I found that the bottom of the circuit board in the sector where the flyback is located looks a little burned. The solder joints and surrounding board have a slight rust color to them.
It is normal for printed circuit boards of that era to discolour due to long exposure to heat. An example from an IBM 5154 is shown [here].
In such areas, deteriorated solder joints are sometimes caused by many transitions from cold to hot, and vice-versa.

Yeah that's true. Hopefully the problem with my monitor is nothing more than cracked solder joints as I have noticed quite a few. I fixed a stereo receiver once just by resoldering all the cracked joints. I think I'll give that a try after it's properly discharged (obviously).

Back