• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5151 monitor wide image?

gleegum

I don't know if this is how it should look or if it's a flaw in the monitor, but the image kind of look wide instead of a 4:3 ratio screen.
It's not too much of a distortion, I have an MDA and a Hercules card and both do the same, so it's the monitor.

Pics HERE

Thanks

Your image is compressed vertically. Need to adjust the vertical height. It's an internal adjustment.

Your image is compressed vertically. Need to adjust the vertical height. It's an internal adjustment.

I see, I hate to open monitors! Also I understand that it has to be adjusted while the monitor is powered on, so double the risk!
Thank you

Looking at the Sam's manual and shining a flashlight into mine, the controls are facing upward on the top right above where the contrast and brightness are. If you slide the back cover about 6 inches, it will expose the 3 controls on top. The center one is the height

Eh, don't wildly jab screwdrivers/fingers/whatever into the monitor and you'll be fine! The HV circuit is pretty well insulated, and the controls you're going to need to adjust aren't too close to it. You can adjust with the power off, but you'll have to power it on to check. Honestly the AC line is probably more dangerous to you than the HV. If you're working with it powered on, follow the old electricians' rule and keep one hand in your pocket.

...The HV circuit is pretty well insulated, and the controls you're going to need to adjust aren't too close to it. You can adjust with the power off, but you'll have to power it on to check...
Adjusting with the power off isn't going to save you as far as the HV goes!!! If you somehow manage to contact it you will get zapped with the power on or off. :)

Yeah, but the small capacitance of the tube (nF? pF?) will zap you and dissipate, whereas an active HV circuit will continue to supply it. Not that a bite from the tube feels *good* or anything!

Well, I fixed it and I'm still alive.
Those pots were glued so they do not move, so why does it has misconfigured it? Bad caps?
IMG_4533.jpg

Yeah, but the small capacitance of the tube (nF? pF?) will zap you and dissipate, whereas an active HV circuit will continue to supply it. Not that a bite from the tube feels *good* or anything!
No, none of it feels good. :)

But I'm sure that even when contacting an active circuit there will be enough associated involuntary muscle contraction that the contact will be terminated almost immediately.

So how can you tell if the monitor needs adjusting? How big is the border around the picture supposed to be if you're using a Hercules card?

I'm assuming the width is what it's supposed to be so you would need a program to generate a circle. Somebody here provided that before like a video generator program. Usually centering and height can be adjusted but not width. There was a big discussion
about that here not too long ago

Back