• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm 5153 crt

mborza

Hello,
I have a 5153 monitor that arrived with the CRT tube destroyed during transport. What are the chances of finding a CRT tube replacement? What models should I look for?
Thank you.

Depends on if thst tube was used in anything else. There may be some labels inside thst have crt model spare numbers. Also knowing the crt model on the tube would tell you. On average though
. i wouldnt get my hopes up.

Hello,
I have a 5153 monitor that arrived with the CRT tube destroyed during transport. What are the chances of finding a CRT tube replacement? What models should I look for?
Thank you.

Awww, man that sucks. :(

I feel your pain. Had a lovely Acer 14" VGA monitor which would have been a perfect match for most of my early 90's systems turn up with a snapped neck a couple of years ago after the seller apparently thought a few crumpled newspapers would do for transport.

Probably simpler to hunt for a non-running 5153 with an intact tube and do a transplant if you're confident your 5153 is otherwise in working order.

If you don't mind my asking - was this from the eBay seller who mismatched it with an IBM PS/2 model 50 but also had an IBM 8513 mismatched with a CGA-equipped XT and had loads of other kit available? If so based on the state of some of the rest of it which has ended up being bought by various Youtubers it looks like this stuff was badly stored for decades in damp conditions and mainly didn't work anyway. Wouldn't rule out it being broken before transport.

I can sympathize- I'm the proud owner of two different 5153s with busted tubes, so if anyone figures out a suitable replacement model or P/N, I'd like to know as well.

If and when I finally work up the courage to try and get another one shipped, I should probably hire someone local to the seller on Fiverr and have him build a titanium cage for it or something.

Hello everyone, thank you for your answers and interest. I was thinking maybe someone managed to find a CRT tube from another monitor or TV that can be transplanted in 5153. I realise that my chances of finding another tube or another monitor with the tube intact ,for parts are small.

For Cwathen , the monitor is not from that auction. I also watched that seller auction. This one it came with a defective IBM 5150 and they were all packed in one box. I think the package was dropped and the tube, due to weights, broke the plastic of the case and the neck of the tube ended up in the case and ... :(

Best Regards.

As I mentioned earlier. Have you opened the case to get the model and part number off the CRT and to check for a label which may have spare CRT #'s?

Hello,
I am attaching some pictures with the label on the tube and the main problem. Thank you. IMG_88371.JPGIMG_88361.JPG

I don't recall ever a list of compatible tubes for these 5153's, The one's i've seen have had the Toshiba tubes in them IIRC, If by some miracle there is a stash of NOS tubes out there somewhere they'd likely cost an arm and a leg, I've seen these 5153's go for nigh on £100 or more for Faulty / Non working, But price's seem to go up and down like a Yoyo, Supply and demand i suppose.

Ive done some experimenting with some pin compatible tubes. What if you found one with the correct pinout and swapped the yoke over. Might be a hair to small but someone could 3D print a bezel to help it mate with the front frame.

Hello,
Thank you.
Putting all the fantasy-based possibilities aside it seems the best option is to locate another functional 5153. I realize that does not sound all that promising at this point but at least it's based on reality.

Back