• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5160 + 5161 For Sale

marcoguy

Experienced Member
This is a sad day for me. For financial reasons, I have to sell my 5160 and my 5161. I can sell them together, or possibly separated if I'm offered a good deal. This includes an IBM 5160, 5161, extender/receiver cards, and the cable to connect them. The 5160 includes one original IBM half-height 360k drive. It is a late model 1986 XT with 640k of RAM. It's been experiencing some CPU-related problems lately, however I've got a new 8088 CPU coming in the mail that will hopefully fix them. The 5161, however, should work perfectly. If needed, I can throw in an AT/XT switchable keyboard for use with the system. If you're interested, please make me an offer or ask any questions you want via PM. I'll update the thread once I get the new CPU to see if that fixes any problems.

EDIT: The 5160 comes with the original documentation, including the Technical Reference, Guide to Operations, and the DOS and BASIC manuals. The DOS manual comes with IBM DOS 2.1 and the Guide to Operations manual comes with the PC Diagnostics diskette.

Last edited:
Well, when the computer is booted up the screen displays all dollar signs, and before that it had some issues with the floppy drives. Upon inspecting the V20 CPU, i discovered a pin had become disconnected and was just sitting in the socket. I assume this was the cause of the problems, and I've ordered an AMD 8088 to replace the V20.

If no one is interested, I might be interested but PM with an idea what you'd like. I am also looking for a IBM 5153 monitor

Multisync's are the way to go! And Stone will pack it good too. Sent me an NEC Multsync and it's still working! Use it with my XT mainly that has an EGA card in it. So it does CGA, EGA, and VGA!!! highly recommended. And your not limited to one type of video signal as the 5153 is.

Thanks, Frank... but I didn't pack it. FedEx did it. :) But they taught me how to pack a monitor successfully and I packed an IBM 5151 myself and sent it to Lithuania where it arrived in one piece. I had to do it myself because both FedEx and UPS wanted $450 to ship it to Lithuania so I sent it via USPS for $150 and, as we all know, USPS doesn't do packing or Windows. :)

Not to steal the show from Marcoguy but most multisync monitors (definitely the NEC) is also the way to go for lower frequency displays so they work on Amiga computers quite well too. It's like a bat belt for displays ;-)

Marco, getting any hits? Are you looking at fixing it now? (Just curious, I'm not personally in the market). The 5161 (expansion) is pretty sought after I would think. Especially with the cards/cables. Worst case scenario you could test the waters on evi^H^Hbay. At one point (maybe not anymore?) they were expensive enough some folks were just hacking regular chassis to make one since they were becoming unobtainium.

I've fixed the display problem, turned out it was both the CPU and the graphics card having issues. I've gotten one offer for both units which was a bit lower than I'd been hoping for and a couple other messages asking how much I wanted, to which I replied "make me an offer" and never got a response back. As of right now they're both still available, however if I don't get any offers in the next few days I'll likely be going with the original one.

Hopefully someone will see that value and pay what you would like to receive. It is always sad to see a machine you like very much go. :( In a way they are like pets. ;)

What's this all about?

'Even though I see no reason for this PC not to work perfectly, it has not been tested to boot into DOS so I am not responsible for it's functionality beyond booting into BASIC off the internal ROM.'

Sounds kinda lame, like the system doesn't work. In fact it sounds like you tested it and it won't boot. A statement like that is a complete turn-off.

What's this all about?

'Even though I see no reason for this PC not to work perfectly, it has not been tested to boot into DOS so I am not responsible for it's functionality beyond booting into BASIC off the internal ROM.'

Sounds kinda lame, like the system doesn't work. In fact it sounds like you tested it and it won't boot. A statement like that is a complete turn-off.

I think there has been enough discussion about this. Marcoguy offered it here first as a courtesy. Now it's on eBay. Let the potential buyers judge the machine and make their own decisions.

What's this all about?

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't mean to infer that, I simply meant that as a disclaimer just in case. I'll try to reword it later to more clearly get my point across. If I find time, I'll do some more testing with it to see for sure if it can boot into DOS.

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't mean to infer that, I simply meant that as a disclaimer just in case. I'll try to reword it later to more clearly get my point across. If I find time, I'll do some more testing with it to see for sure if it can boot into DOS.
Those of us here know you can test it. But to 'strangers' on eBay it's a different story. And it seems that if you label something on eBay 'as is' it is generally assumed to be non-functional. So it's in your best interest not to describe it with that terminology unless you really feel that it is non-functional. If you really want to get your price you should put a disk in it and then turn it on. :) OTOH, if you know it to be defective in booting to DOS then your current description is good enough. :)

Well he fixed it to get it that far already. I do understand though, it'd make me nervous selling something vintage as fully working since I don't necessarily test every single feature. I wouldn't want someone to be pissed at me for a parallel port not working or a memory error further down the pipe when it turns on and can run whatever I end up doing on a system. Either way though, good to be cautious although you're right it could affect the bottom line but the 5161 is a pretty rare beast so hopefully still it ends up out of the scrap pile and to a worthy collector who doesn't need to worry much about a simple fix here and there.

Back