• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5160 64-256kb mainboard

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
Greetings,

The project i have been working on is making some progress except i am at another empasse with parts

I have gotten a Headland 256kb 16-bit VGA, the Headlands work nicely in 8-bit slots, the guy on ebay i purchased it from did not know that, i got a really good deal.

My needs for this thread though are 2-fold

The first:

My 5160's mainboard is the 64-256kb board, with 256kb onboard and 384 provided by an AST 6-Pak.
I'd like to take this computer up to the full 1-mb maybe a bit more via either the 1mb add-in or 2-mb ems board
I know it can be done one hte 256-640kb board simply by fully populating it with 1-mb in 256kb chips, altering a chip and adding a jumper.
Can the same be done with the 64-256 board, without doing all those mods, by means of an EMS board such as the lo-tech 1mb or 2mb boards?
I have a quadboard that appears to add another 384, and the manual shows you can have a starting address of 640kb, so that may be an option
Suggestions?

The second:

My ST-412's bearings may be nearing the end as i've been running it fine, right side up since my last posting, but yesterday, it started fine, then the bearings got all weird and loud again. It currently has been running upside down off and on for 2 days, i run it for a few hours, then turn it off, to allow the lubricant to go where it needs to, but what i need to know is if there is a way to re-lubricate the poor thing. I really would like to see it to it's 40th. It is a 1983 unit, i just think it would be neat to see it at least to 40, maybe further. I have a Miniscribe 6085 with WD-1002 type controller coming, as well as a Pluscard XL.

I also have a 60mb WD Tidbit *XT or AT operation* that i could get to work as i've got an 8-bit IDE *Not XT-IDE*. I know i could go compact flash, but i really like the whirring of the old drive.

Back