• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5170 512kb board ram upgrade?

robbo007

Experienced Member
Hi guys,
Is it possible to upgrade the onboard ram on the IBM 5170 512kb board to 640kb? At present I have a 128KB ISA card filling the rest of the base memory but need a spare ISA slot.
Thanks,

I am unaware of any published instructions. If any, there would be one set of instructions for the type 1 motherboard, and a different set of instructions for the type 2 and type 3 motherboards. It's not as simple as changing RAM chip type. For example a motherboard modification would need to be done so that the motherboard decodes the 512K to 640K address space.

There are boards which provide both the 512k-640k "conventional" memory, as well as expanded and/or extended memory, as well as boards which do those things plus provide serial and parallel ports (the Intel AboveBoard Plus I/O, for example). Perhaps you could gain a slot or two by consolidating.

ok great thanks for the points. Yeah I think my only way will be a multi board that has the additional base ram on it. Many thanks.

It probably wouldn't be possible to modify type 2 or 3 boards for 640kb, because there is only one bank of memory, and it already has the 256kb chips fitted.
It might be possible to coax a type 1 board to accept 256kb chips, but no hobbyist has ever done it as far as I know. I think it would be pretty cool to have 1MB on the board.
Supposedly there were 10MHz AT prototypes using type 1 motherboards that had been modified to take 640kb, but the former IBM employee who had them is now deceased.

So I found a Quadram-Quadboard which could be a candidate. A couple of things, it's got a battery on it for the RTC. I gather these can be replaced? My AT has a external battery pack for the RTC. Will this conflict? Can the RAM on these boards be used as "base" memory to fill my 512kb to 640kb or is this expanded/extended RAM?

Thanks.

Back