• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 57 SX - Help to Boot to DOS

heytbone

So, in Chicago, Sears sold off a lot of its old computers and I ended up grabbing an IBM 57 SX. It boots and runs nicely but was configured for a token ring setting. I asked the folks at Sears for the Disks, and was given a nah. So, I'm trying to create a boot disk and the like to play some old games this weekend. If you have any advice where to get started, and what to do, I'd appreciate it.

So far:
I have a collection of boot images from Dos 5.0 to 6.22. I have formatted a Floppy and copied the files over. I stick it in and still, the computer wants to try to run an auto configuration using the SCSI and that's about as far as I was able to get. Is there a program I'm supposed to use to write the Boot Disk into rather than Windows 10.
Thanks for the help. Sorry if these questions are super nooby.

Did you work this out?

What floppy drive are you using on the windows PC? Is it a usb 3.5" drive? One of the things I pick up on though is you say you formatted the floppy and copied the files over. An image disk needs to be imaged to a floppy. It's been a while since I made boot disks from a late windows PC, but I think you can use a windows program called winimage. That should let you image the file onto a floppy disk.

Cheers

Hey, I did end up working all of this out. I got the reference disks, Token Ring and all the other drivers and what not working, and I've got a slew of 386 games on the hard drive. It's great!

Back