• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Aptiva 2156 D1J

pkmnct

Hi!
I am attempting to put my old IBM Aptiva 2156 D1J back together. I received this computer for Christmas when I was 6. It was the first computer I could call "mine." Anyways, I have always been interested in computers and repair them for my community. I disassembled this computer when I was little and never put it back together. I recently came across its motherboard, and went digging for the rest. I currently have the motherboard, processor, original ram, a hard drive, a cd drive, its original power supply, and parts of its case. I plugged the power supply into the motherboard, attached a monitor to it and shorted the 2 power pins (P7 pins 1 & 3) but nothing happened. I figured probably bad power supply but shorting green and black wires on power supply turned it on and it was able to power the disc drive. I connected the power supply back to the motherboard and then shorted the green wire to the frame and it beeped, the monitor acted up, and it showed the IBM Aptiva BIOS Logo. It acted fine but when I tried to put a Windows CD into the drive it didn't want to go back in. I figured no big deal, shut it down, grabbed another disc drive, attached it, tried booting, but white lines appeared over the BIOS screen and it didn't respond to even the num lock key. I rebooted and the same thing. If I let it sit for a while, it will sometimes boot without the lines, but it is rare. So what I am asking is if anyone knows what the problem is? Youtube video here.

Do you have the case for this thing? Prolly not. I would get everything put back in its home where it belongs properly mounted in and grounded before we do any more troubleshooting.

I've assembled dozens of systems sprawled on the surface of a table or desk in the past. It's not the best solution but it works.

Anywho try another power supply if you have one, it could be an unstable power supply that dips down occasionally and causes the machine to freeze.

This problem could be a lot of different things, but on the bright side the least likely candidate is the mobo/CPU..

Well I stuck it back in its case and the exact same problem applies.

Well I tried a different power supply with the same problem. It's power button still isn't working, either. I still have to short the green psu wire to the case (ground)

Back