• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM AT & PC Jr

grumpyx

Experienced Member
I have a IBM AT Computer with IBM Monitor/Keyboard and a manual and a couple of PC Jr's only one KB. They have been in storage for a while and need cleaned up, but look to be in good shape. Looking to trade or sale. I collect mainly TRS-80 stuff and some other 8 bit systems. I'm in the Chattanooga, TN area.

I had to let it acclimate after bringing it in from storage before turning it on. the good news it is very clean inside and I dusted it off and powered it on and it boots up to xtmenu. I have attached photos including one with the chkdsk for the HD and memory and ver for the DOS version. And yes it is a CGA color version. I took one photo without the flash so you can see the color on the screen. IBM AT Model 5170, Monitor IBM Model 5153

The bad news is that I noticed the power supply smells after running it for a while so I won't be running it again, I'll let the new owner check the caps in the power supply just in case.

The manual I have is for the PCjr. I'll add photos of them later.

Attachments

• 0127141959a.jpg
    0127141959a.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 0127141959.jpg
    0127141959.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 0127141958a.jpg
    0127141958a.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 0127141941.jpg
    0127141941.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 0127141941a.jpg
    0127141941a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums :) What type of monitor is it with the AT? If it's something hard to find like EGA you'll probably get a bunch of hits. What sort of TRS stuff do you like? (Just asking for general folks/interest). Have any pictures of them?

Original Post edited with photos and more info.

I collect mainly TRS-80 Model I/III/IV and Color Computer items and accessories. But I do have other 8 bit machines.

I might be interested in the Jr if the price is right... I've also got some TRS-80 stuff I might be willing to part with on trade if you're up for it; some 1000 EX/HX, and a in pieces 4P that's halfway through restoration. Some joker pulled 64k out of a 128k one and knocked out one of the resistors in the process, and the tube WAS busted. I got a working replacement tube in it... but it's still buggered... I've also got several Coco spares if interested.

Mostly I'd want the Jr. for testing new game releases since, well... that's what I do.

I'm not looking for more computers at the moment, but I have some extra coco stuff, and I'm local. Send me a pm of anything you are looking for and I'll see if I have any thing.

Later,
dabone

I'm not looking for more computers at the moment, but I have some extra coco stuff, and I'm local. Send me a pm of anything you are looking for and I'll see if I have any thing.

Later,
dabone

Really? Wasn't that supposed to be a PM too?

Guys - do me a favor. Try to pretend the moderators are here and for the most part are helping you. The PM guideline/rule has been around for a long long time and it is not unreasonable. Members with 200 or 500+ posts should not be flagrantly ignoring it after a reminder is posted.

I'm going to just start deleting messages that should have been PMs and treat them as spam, because to most of the rest of the readers that is what they they are - just something to be skipped over.

But maybe somebody else with an AT would like to take Ian up on his offer even if grumpyx doesn't?

Of course, every forum has its own rules, even if they are sometimes totally different... for example, on another vintage computer forum, they yell at you if you don't post the equivalent of "PM sent!" in a thread!!

Of course, every forum has its own rules, even if they are sometimes totally different... for example, on another vintage computer forum, they yell at you if you don't post the equivalent of "PM sent!" in a thread!!
What forum is that? It's obviously one I haven't discovered yet but would certainly like to have a look at. Post a link.

If anyone local works a deal here and doesn't want the KB, I'd love to get my mitts on the keyboard :)

Alternately, OP if you decide that you're willing to ship, please let me know. I actually wouldn't mind having an AT system again.

What forum is that? It's obviously one I haven't discovered yet but would certainly like to have a look at. Post a link.

I'm not going to name names, but it is a forum that primarily caters to Amiga fans and primarily has a European user base. In its classifieds section, if you are interested in an item that someone has posted for sale, you are required to post "declaring interest" in the thread before contacting the seller via PM. Also, "price driving" -- i.e. bargaining -- is forbidden. I have sold and bought a few items over there, but after getting yelled at for not following the rules several times, I decided I should stick to this forum, whose way of doing business I am more comfortable with. :)

Really? Wasn't that supposed to be a PM too?

Guys - do me a favor. Try to pretend the moderators are here and for the most part are helping you. The PM guideline/rule has been around for a long long time and it is not unreasonable. Members with 200 or 500+ posts should not be flagrantly ignoring it after a reminder is posted.

I'm going to just start deleting messages that should have been PMs and treat them as spam, because to most of the rest of the readers that is what they they are - just something to be skipped over.

I guess that should have been sent as a pm, sorry.
I just didn't think about it at the time.

Later,
dabone

Not to drag things into threadjack territory, but...

NEVER even seen that post -- since I really wouldn't even LOOK for forum rules in an announcements section, as that's the type of thing that should be directly linked in the menu possibly as part of the FAQ, as well as in the actual page for joining the site; seriously, you expect people to magically find and read that post THERE?!?! REALLY?!? Yeah, that's intuitive.

Though given all the rewrites of the markup and CSS of your typical vBull**** mess I have to use just to make this site functional for me, it's a miracle I can find ANYTHING in the first place; what with the inaccessible fixed metric fonts, sections with illegible color contrasts, and train wreck of "I can haz intarnets" markup that's the bread and butter of ineptly coded garbage like vBulletin.

While I'm used to forums where bugging someone via PM over a thread post -- OR "PM Sent" would be considered spamming behavior. What the blue blazes is the point of making a thread if people aren't supposed to respond to it?!? Yeah, that makes sense. Herpafreakingderp...

Not to drag things into threadjack territory, but...

NEVER even seen that post -- since I really wouldn't even LOOK for forum rules in an announcements section, as that's the type of thing that should be directly linked in the menu possibly as part of the FAQ, as well as in the actual page for joining the site; seriously, you expect people to magically find and read that post THERE?!?! REALLY?!? Yeah, that's intuitive.

Though given all the rewrites of the markup and CSS of your typical vBull**** mess I have to use just to make this site functional for me, it's a miracle I can find ANYTHING in the first place; what with the inaccessible fixed metric fonts, sections with illegible color contrasts, and train wreck of "I can haz intarnets" markup that's the bread and butter of ineptly coded garbage like vBulletin.

It is the first post in the first subforum - pretty hard to miss. It was also a recent re-post, so if you used the "New Posts" feature you would have been notified of it too. But you'd have to read posts that don't have your name in the subject to see it.

Is there a specific problem with vBulletin, or are you just ranting about things that are not really a problem? We're not getting any complaints about the CSS or the site presentation in general so I don't know what you are seeing that is so severe.

While I'm used to forums where bugging someone via PM over a thread post -- OR "PM Sent" would be considered spamming behavior. What the blue blazes is the point of making a thread if people aren't supposed to respond to it?!? Yeah, that makes sense. Herpafreakingderp...

Herpafreakingderp ... we've been over this a few dozen times already.

Posting a message that nobody else cares about just makes the other 1000+ regular readers of this forum have to skip over the message. There is a private message system for messages that are private in nature. Use it!

I don't know where you get the idea that you are not supposed to respond to a thread. The nuance that you are missing is that you should reply to a thread IF IT IS REMOTELY INTERESTING TO ANYBODY ELSE. If it is a specific question that applies to your situation only, then send a PM - it's not that hard.

Is there a specific problem with vBulletin, or are you just ranting about things that are not really a problem? We're not getting any complaints about the CSS or the site presentation in general so I don't know what you are seeing that is so severe.
It's just the typical crap that shows the vBull developers have no business writing HTML or CSS; fixed metric (px) fonts on everything for example in terms of design meaning I either have to dive for the zoom, or override the entire page with user.css just to make it useful. The markup is bloated and slow, making me less likely to spend time digging for anything I don't care about; and is completely inaccessible for advanced keyboard navigation... it reeks of "WCAG, what's that?!?" and "I can haz intarnets" coding; admittedly this plagues a lot of CMS and Forum softwares that have their craniums wedged so far up 1997's rectum you need to call an orthodontist to handle the extraction... the 109k of markup to deliver the 8.9k of content on this page alone (easily six to eight times what's needed) is proof enough of that... though the gibberish heading orders breaking header navigation (H6 after H1's, multiple H1's...)

The only reason I've not really been vocal about it is that it's ENTIRELY what one expects from the steaming pile of manure known as vBulletin... with XenForo and phpBB not following too far behind on the developer ineptitude scale. That's why I have a user.css already set up for vBull, browse with scripting disabled, and to be frank if these forums didn't have content of value and people who actually know something about topics I care about, I'd have bounced off of this inaccessible mess as soon as I found it. Good content and good people can make you put up with ALMOST anything.

As to "new posts" -- I don't use it because even with your rule it's filled with posts I don't give a flying purple fish about... not really seeing why that makes a difference; after all isn't that why topics are threaded?!?

But one persons intuitive is another's counterintuitive. I NEVER would have found that post about the 'rules' in a kaypro's age; likewise to the rule in question -- I just don't get it. Whatever... fine...

Last edited:
vBulletin seems to be working well for most people. You are the first person that I am aware of who has voiced such complaints about the CSS. I suspect a little too much hyperbole is being exercised here; Erik pays real money for the software an in general I have found it to be reliable and have had no presentation issues across the multitude of browsers I have used in the years.

Even if you don't care about what is happening in the DEC subforum, something posted in "Announcements" might catch your eye as being slightly of interest, even if it is not technical.

The guideline about using the Private Message system has existed for eons. Most of the guidelines we have here for posting, being civil, etc. are based on observations made over the last 10+ years that the forum has been running. You don't have to get it, and we can debate at length in private.

Agreed - good content and good people are what make the forum. We're trying to preserve both by imposing a little order on the chaos. I don't see that as something to get worked up about. It should be seen as a good thing.

Back