• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM CGA to Phillips CM8833

floyd20183

Hello to all.

I have done some googling and still don't seem to find a definitive example of whether or not it is possible to connect a 9pin IBM CGA card to the RGB TTL DIN connector on the rear of the Phillips CM8833 monitor. I suspect that this may not be possible without additional circuitry but would be interested to hear if anyone else has actually tried and what the results were. In my search I have seen references to the the CM8833-II monitor but mine is the CM8833 with Scart and DIN RGB connector. I can use the composite out on the CGA card into the monitor but as mine is the PAL version the composite is only in black and white due to not being NTSC. The CM8833 doubles as my Amiga 500 monitor and it would be nice to have both machines on the same CRT. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sure it is possible, it's a standard PAL/NTSC-compatible RGBI port.
I bought one back in the day for my Commodore PC10-III, and you could buy standard cables for it (the monitor was also sold as Commodore 1084 OEM rebadge, where the RGBI port was used for the C128, which is CGA-compatible, including CGA brown. So they were reasonably common).
Here's a video of mine:

My CM8833 has since broken down, and I've replaced it with a Commodore 1084S, using the exact same cable:
It's basically the same monitor, except the SCART is replaced by an analog RGB on the 1084S (there are various types of 1084S around, some have SCART, some have the DIN, I believe).
Or actually, the 1084 has the old style front. The CM8833 is a later series. I believe the pre-'facelift' Philips model is the CM8533, which has the same style front as the 1084S.

When I needed one, I just went to ebay and googled "Commodore 128 CGA cable". Not sure if they're still there, but yeah, works with quite a few of my RGB monitors that have the DIN plug.

Back