• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Diagnostic Disk Image with Gotek

Cyberstein

Experienced Member
I have a Gotek (FlashFloppy) installed into my IBM 5160. It has been working great until I tried putting IBM diagnostic disk images on it. It reports E31 (Invalid Disk Image) when set to any of my IBM disk images (All use the .IMA format). I know the images are good because I can create 5.25" floppy disk copies and boot on another computer. I also created other disk images with the exact same software and methods which work as well. What am I doing wrong here? Is there some kind of copy protection scheme IBM has on the disks that mess with the Gotek? I want to boot diagnostics off my Gotek because it is drive A on this particular computer. If I cannot find a way around this I am going to have to switch the Gotek to drive B and use an actual 5.25" drive as A. Has anybody had this issue? I would appreciate any help, thanks!

I have no issues when I boot the IBM diags off an hfe image

Open HxCFloppyEmulator program
Drag the img file over to HxCFloppyEmulator
Export as .hfe

or

Open HxCFloppyEmulator program
set up a 3.5" 720k DSDD FAT12
copy your files over and save as .hfe

I've created the three *.hfe images for the 5160 Diags on my PCloud account.
I'll PM you the link.

Larry

Attachments

• 5160-Diag-HxC.png
    5160-Diag-HxC.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 5160-Diag-Disk.png
    5160-Diag-Disk.png
    270.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 5160-Diag-hfe.png
    5160-Diag-hfe.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Larry, I'll give this a try! Sorry for taking so long to see this, been working a lot. I also got sidetracked on repairing an IBM 5154 monitor which is still in-process. Any chance you know where to find the schematics? Thanks again sir!

Okay, I got the dx disk to boot off the Gotek, Thank you sir. I also found the IBM 5154 schematics and was able to repair it as well. Man was it a mess. Blown capacitors, burned resistors, blown transistors, fab damage (resistor burned hole clear through the PCB!), and open traces. The yoke board, power supply and main board all damage. It still runs a little dim though. I tried adjusting the SCREEN pot on the Yoke board but that doesn't help. The secondary brightness on the back is also at maximum. Need to look into that further, put it on pause. Right, now I am working to restore IBM 5162 I just got. :) This hobby keeps me very busy!

Back