• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Displaywriter printer cable pinouts

Adventurer

Experienced Member
Can anyone help with any information on printer connection pinouts of an Displaywriter? (6580). I finally got an IBM 5218 printer, which I would like to connect to the system, but it is missing a cable. Simple straight -through or nullmodem DB9 cables are not working, and I have already destroyed a Displaywriter's power supply by trying to guess the correct pins by measuring resistances/voltage between different pins, and adjusting the cable.

P1006434.jpg

The result - 5V power supply in a Displaywriter's PSU is dead. Fortunately I had a parts machine which I was able to take a PSU board from, and Displaywriter works, but I do not have any spare boards left, so no place for errors as well - below - testing the PSU from the parts machine:

P1006446.jpg

The only information I have found online is the configuration of IBM 5218 printer port pins:

printer cable.png

I know it is a very small chance, maybe someone has an IBM Displaywriter printer cable for sale?

If anyone still has a 5218 I'd really like to document the logic inside of it with good pictures of the board innards and if there is any firmware to dump.

Back