• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM L40SX PSP-1 drivers help....

Sega

Experienced Member
In an old barn find, I came across an IBM L40sx with the PSP-1 docking station. It was in terrible condition there were spiders and all sorts of critters inside both units. Anyway, here's a quick teardown (see pics below). The PSP-1 PSU had all leaky capacitors, it came loaded with the usual ISA cards (SCSI, test and modem cards). Due to little time it took me about a week to get it all back on track. Now I have an issue, the L40sx boots fine and asks for the reference disk, the bios is looking for some sort of files or drivers for the ISA slots (7 to 8 slots for the Magneto Optical Drive and what not). Is there any documentation for the PSP-1 docking station at all? Any help is much appreciated.

qMWGF3j.jpg

LPg6UF6.jpg

ySGnf7z.jpg

SZkHLUs.jpg

p2ysZ4Z.jpg

vYFgv8n.jpg

Nice! Never saw the docking station for it. I've two L40/SX machines - fun toys... but that's about what I consider them because of the terrible b/w LCD screen.

I'm assuming that you already perused this page, but just in case... note that I haven't looked in-depth there myself, though it does mention a 'docking station,' I don't think that it's yours.

Nice! Never saw the docking station for it. I've two L40/SX machines - fun toys... but that's about what I consider them because of the terrible b/w LCD screen.

I'm assuming that you already perused this page, but just in case... note that I haven't looked in-depth there myself, though it does mention a 'docking station,' I don't think that it's yours.

There is the "communications cartridge" and then there is the PSP. The PSP is unusual; I have one too, but I've not been able to test it.

The hard drive internal to the laptop is always dead - it's a Conner, and they sucked. I've never seen one working. If you find one for sale, the hard drive is either dead or it has been replaced.

Even with the drivers for the SCSI card, there is still the general problem of not having the application that reads the database on the MO disc.

Which operating system are you installing? I'm not sure what you mean the the BIOS is asking for drivers.

Even with the drivers for the SCSI card, there is still the general problem of not having the application that reads the database on the MO disc.

Which database are you referring to?

Just as a heads-up, there are a number of old, out-of-date mirrors of Louis's site, the currently maintained "master" site is here:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/

So the L40SX page is here:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/8543/8543.html

Cheers, WBST

Back