• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Model M2 Keyboard ESC Key

twillkickers

Experienced Member
Just got a new Model M2 keyboard that actually seems to work without any issues - save one. When I press the Esc key, the computer senses that I hit Esc two times. This does not happen on every press, but it happens on a good number of them. I normally would assume this is an issue with the buffer capacitor, but the keyboard only does this for the Esc key. All the other keys work perfectly fine! Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

probably a dodgy pad. these are spring over membrane, remember. if there's crud and cruft on the pad, it's going to do this. the buffer cap should be replaced anyway as it's good practice for these since it WILL go bad and WILL leak.

Was afraid I might have to open her up... The last time I opened one of these up to re-cap it, it took me forever. (And half the keys didn't even work afterwards.) Is there a secret way to open one of these up without taking out all the keys first? I also remember breaking a lot of the cheap plastic support bars attached to the longer keys. Usually those are metal in other keyboards. Are there any good techniques to tearing this apart quickly and avoiding breaking the plastic support bars?

Back