• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Motherboard will not boot.

RHopple

Experienced Member
I have a IBM motherboard with a Pentium 75MHz that refuses to boot or enter setup. It goes through the post routine and whether I press F1 to enter setup or not, a blank screen appears with a the number 67 and a blinking cursor.

I have tried swapping the memory, unplugging all drives, and inspecting the capacitors. I also replaced the CMOSbattery with a brand new one. Nothing works and all caps are normal. Any suggestions before I recycle the board?

Last edited:
Could you provide an image of the IBM motherboard? Is the "67" close to the edge of the screen so possibly moving the image to the right could show additional text cut off on left side?

All the causes that come to mind are very unlikely so I would prefer to have more information instead of sending you down any wild goose chases.

Thanks for your replies, but I actually just found the problem. There was a 256k cache chip next to the CPU desinged for a 66MHz Pentium. However, the person removed the cpu before me and I installed a 75MHz instead. Removing the cache allowed the computer to boot and run setup.

Back