• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Netvista A20 6269 Win98 SE Pentium III 800 MHz Drivers

PH310

Hello!

Can't find drivers for my IBM Netvista A20 6269-P7G with Pentium III 800 MHz. Chipset Intel 810E. Found only one graphics driver, win9xe67.exe. But there are several question marks in the device manager: Other Devices: Unknown Device, PCI Ethernet Controller, PCI Multimedia Audio Device, PCI Token Ring Controller. Windows does not seem to recognize the processor and chipset. There seem to be missing drivers for the chipset and the controllers. The network card is a 3Com from 2002. It is called 3C905CX-TX-NM. The Token Ring card is an Olicom, but that can be removed. Where can I find drivers?

Best regards,
PH310

I'm assuming you're running Windows 98, because most of that stuff had drivers integrated into Windows 2000 and later. IIRC, you can run dxdiag.exe and/or msinfo32.exe and get the PCI IDs of the unknown devices to cross reference on Google. If you can't figure out the PCI IDs, you'll have to take the door off the case and start looking at the individual chips and look them up by part number, which isn't fun. I don't have a Windows 98 box on hand, so can't provide much more info besides old memories. I haven't regularly used Windows 98 in decades.

Phil's Computer Lab maintains a limited set of drivers for older hardware. Here's the Intel Chipset driver section.

Possibly drivers for the 3com NIC.

As for the others, you'll have to dig through sketchy driver sites by looking up the PCI ID. Unless you have really obscure hardware, you can generally find most things.

And unless you have a stack of old Token Ring network equipment (MAUs, cables, another Token Ring machine, etc.), just pull the Token Ring card and leave it out of the machine. It's not compatible with Ethernet and having it and an Ethernet controller in the same machine at the same time is going to cause erratic issues.

I have a few tokenring cards if you are going to use them... cost of shipping... I'm never going to use them.

I'm assuming you're running Windows 98, because most of that stuff had drivers integrated into Windows 2000 and later. IIRC, you can run dxdiag.exe and/or msinfo32.exe and get the PCI IDs of the unknown devices to cross reference on Google. If you can't figure out the PCI IDs, you'll have to take the door off the case and start looking at the individual chips and look them up by part number, which isn't fun. I don't have a Windows 98 box on hand, so can't provide much more info besides old memories. I haven't regularly used Windows 98 in decades.

Phil's Computer Lab maintains a limited set of drivers for older hardware. Here's the Intel Chipset driver section.

Possibly drivers for the 3com NIC.

As for the others, you'll have to dig through sketchy driver sites by looking up the PCI ID. Unless you have really obscure hardware, you can generally find most things.

And unless you have a stack of old Token Ring network equipment (MAUs, cables, another Token Ring machine, etc.), just pull the Token Ring card and leave it out of the machine. It's not compatible with Ethernet and having it and an Ethernet controller in the same machine at the same time is going to cause erratic issues.
Hello!

Thanks! That's right, I had Windows 98 SE installed. I found it very complicated to find the driver for sound. But I tried another solution. Instead of 98 I installed Windows ME. I was very surprised when I saw in the device manager that all the question marks and the like were gone. All important drivers are installed by Windows ME. I've heard bad rumors about Windows ME, but Microsoft seemed to have updated the driver library properly. So it must be Windows ME on this computer. I intend to have it to run Office 98, and it works fine with Windows ME. But thanks for your tips, they will surely be useful in the future.

Best regards,
PH310

I have a few tokenring cards if you are going to use them... cost of shipping... I'm never going to use them.
Hello!

Thanks, but I don't need any more Token Ring cards. Only uses Ethernet. There is also a risk of conflict between the cards.

Best regards,
PH310

Back