• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC 5150 Rev.A (Early S/N : 0101876)

The 4116 tester - are you trying to sell it, or let me borrow it? And Round Rock is far, but not too too bad.

I also found another IBM PC 5150 Rev.A (16-64KB).

It works and it may have Rev.0 BIOS (04/24/84, P/N:5700051)
It may, though it’s a bit later with the sunken nut power supply. Hard to make out the serial number.

It may, though it’s a bit later with the sunken nut power supply. Hard to make out the serial number.

Accoring to seller, Serial No. is 0187009

I'm not sure if the serial number is correct. At first, I thought it was not a model with Rev.0 BIOS. The truth has been revealed by the attached photo.
The latest date code of BIOS P/N:5700051 confirmed so far is It is 8141. (The date code before that was confirmed up to 8140.)

s-l1600.png

One downside is that although it has been confirmed to work, it has to be picked up in New Jersey, New York.

Last edited:
It seems like a great price for a complete, early PC.

There is even an offer option, so if you do well, you can buy it even cheaper,.
But the downside is that seller can't ship it, so you have to go to New Jersey to pick it up.

That's quite a treasure! I assume that's a factory original blanking plate on the front for this single floppy model? Never seen one of those before - super cool!

I thought the sunken nut PSU were on the first versions. My early one has a yellow label. I actually found someone selling a clone case/motherboard, but with the sunken nut IBM PSU and 2 black bracket cards (mono and floppy) for $75. I even told him, I didn't care about the other stuff - I just wanted the damn PSU for another Model A I'm trying to rebuild.

I thought the sunken nut PSU were on the first versions. My early one has a yellow label. I actually found someone selling a clone case/motherboard, but with the sunken nut IBM PSU and 2 black bracket cards (mono and floppy) for $75. I even told him, I didn't care about the other stuff - I just wanted the damn PSU for another Model A I'm trying to rebuild.
The earliest ones were the raised nut version with the red label. I think they went to the black sunken nut version at about serial 160000-ish.

My serial 1049 has the raised nut version. In fact it was so early the Molex labels (p4, p5, p10, etc) were handwritten on the connectors at the factory.

This thread has some great knowledge of the 5150.
In case you are unaware, see also the IBM 5150 section of minuszerodegrees.net

But apperantly it gives a : Parity check 1.
So a memory problem. Would it be hard to replace the module or parity module on the board?
Well, memory related. Quite a few possible causes - see PARITY CHECK 1 at [here].

One or more faulty RAM chips on the motherboard is one of those possibilities. There may have been a 201 error (RAM error) flashing up on the screen before the PARITY CHECK 1. Sometimes, the RAM chips just need to be re-seated in their sockets. However, in the IBM 5150, the first bank of RAM chips are soldered to the motherboard, and so there is the possibility that some soldering is required.

In case you are unaware, see also the IBM 5150 section of minuszerodegrees.net
Yes, after browsing I found a memory replacement procedure on this site.

One or more faulty RAM chips on the motherboard is one of those possibilities. There may have been a 201 error (RAM error) flashing up on the screen before the PARITY CHECK 1. Sometimes, the RAM chips just need to be re-seated in their sockets. However, in the IBM 5150, the first bank of RAM chips are soldered to the motherboard, and so there is the possibility that some soldering is required.
Ah, I did not know about the soldered banks. I will think about this Ebay sale but will probablywait for a more working model.

Wow.
That is a very nice 5150. The seller knows his stuff and it’s really presented well. Now if only I could convince my wife I need another one…
:)

Back