• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC - different case badges

jesolo

Experienced Member
I was visiting a friend the other day (who happens to have quite a large collection of different computers) when I noticed something interesting and was wondering whether anyone here might be able to verify whether my thoughts are correct.

5150 - 1.jpg5150 - 2.jpg5160 - 1.jpg5160 - 2.jpg
Attached are some pictures of case badges from two IBM PC's (model 5150) and two IBM PC XT's (model 5160).
I noticed that the case badge for the two 5150's are different and was wondering why.

My theory is that, before the XT (model 5160) was released, IBM perhaps just indicated the model no on the case badge but, after the release of the XT (model 5160), they decided to just call it "Personal Computer" and, for model 5160's, also indicated that it was the XT model?

Looks like the case badge in pic 1 is from the rear of a 5150 bottom case, It probably had a missing badge and somebody stuck the wrong badge on it.

One of my 5150s also had a numbered badge up front, but as above, I think the original fell off and at some stage someone stuck the one from the back on the front.
I have a 1982 IBM 5150 with "IBM Personal Computer" on the front. The one that had them swapped was actually from 1986.

Back