• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC/XT FTP server?

Thrashbarg

Experienced Member
Hi,

Has anyone done this? I'd be interested to see what software and hardware was used.

I've got my XT out of the shed and cleaned it up, but the 16-bit Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 crashes the thing when it receives a packet after the packet driver is installed. The card has an 8-bit mode and detects properly.

I'm waiting for a friend to post out some NIC's soon, so I'll see what I can do when I get them.

My XT's configuration is

- Hercules/CGA hybrid graphics card - no snow or flicker on this one
- RGB monitor, Commodore Amiga monitor clone by Thomson.
- 1 360k 5.25" floppy disk.
- Seagate ST-11 MFM disk controller and ST-157R 40MB 3.5" hard drive.
- MS-DOS 6.22

This thing would make a useless server, but half of the fun is getting it going, right? :)

Last edited:
Search for a NCSA Telnet thread here on the forums. NCSA Telnet has a built-in FTP server, and I have run it on a PCjr and a PC XT.

The EtherExpress Pro should work in an 8 bit slot - I know of other people who run them that way. I think it has a software setup utility - look for the obvious conflicts.

Thanks, there's some information here http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=6459

I've run through the SoftSet2 utility on the Pro/10 disk extensively, every configuration causes problems. If I unplug the BNC connector so it doesn't crash, PC/TCP and other DOS TCP/IP drivers don't detect the packet driver, even though the packet driver reports that it has installed correctly. I'm using software interrupt 0x60. The same configuration works on my Pentium 75 machine.

I think I'll change the title of the thread, I doubt this will be about FTP for much longer ;)

Back