• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Portable PC 5155 for $1

wesleyfurr

Veteran Member
There's an auction house near me that has auctions pretty frequently. I dropped in today at lunchtime to see if I might could snag a couple of things that had caught my eye, and lo and behold, there sat an IBM Portable PC model 5155! A little dirty and maybe mildewey looking, but it was all there, including the back panel cover, which made it look all the more nondescript. Heck, I walked right past it when I was browsing yesterday! Anyway...they came up to it, advertised it as a typewriter, and it was mine for $1. :)

Haven't had a chance to see what sort of working condition it is in yet, but I don't think I paid too much! I have another 5155, but its secondary floppy was replaced with a hard drive that is now failing. I installed an XT-IDE in it. It is also missing the back panel cover. If nothing else, I'll steal the 2nd floppy and back cover off of it!

Made my day!

Wesley

Lucky bugger! I love it when we occasionally get a good deal. It helps puts things into perspective and makes all the overpriced stuff on Ebay look ridiculous.

Lucky bugger! I love it when we occasionally get a good deal. It helps puts things into perspective and makes all the overpriced stuff on Ebay look ridiculous.

Yes, indeed it does! :) And prices just seem to keep getting higher and higher...though I guess that is good if you're at the point of dispersing rather than adding to your collection...

I got the worst of the dirt cleaned off, though it is still mildly spotted, probably mildew staining. Decided to go for broke and plugged it in and flipped the switch...nothing. Power cycled it a time or two more, no dice. I think I heard a quiet snap, and I think I smell a touch of something...when time allows, I'll tear into it and see what's going on. With any luck, it's just a bad/exploded tantalum...

Wesley

Back