• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 40SX IDE Cable

Hal9000

Experienced Member
I have this computer but the proprietary IDE ribbon cable is missing. Anyone have one or a part number?

Thanks

I have this computer but the proprietary IDE ribbon cable is missing. Anyone have one or a part number?

Thanks
Bringing this thread back from the dead with some important information for anyone in the future looking for the IDE cable for this machine: it is NOT proprietary, the only thing that is about it is the connector notches on the motherboard itself. Otherwise the pinout between the motherboard connector and a standard IDE cable is exactly the same, and a standard IDE cable will fit in this slot. I will say however that whether you use the OEM cable or a replacement, if the cable is set up for two drives, and you intend to use an IDE DiskOnModule on said cable as the primary drive, to use the lower connector position instead of the end of the cable. the IDE DOM seems very much happier in that position than at the very end, however it will work perfectly fine at the end of the cable as well, but will act screwy with a second drive hooked up and the system will continually throw a 162 config error every boot. on the lower end of the cable, this doesn't seem to happen and I'm not sure why, but it works, every time.

Make sure you mind the orientation of the IDE cable in relation to the orientation of the drive! know where pin 1 is at all times!

Back