• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 57SLC wont read floppies

MCA

Hi! I recently purchased an IBM PS/2 Model 57SLC and was hoping to install OS/2 Warp 3 on it. I ran into a major problem with the 2.88mb Floppy Drive. It refuses to read any disk, stating that they are formatted, and when you try to format the drive fails and does nothing.

Is there something on the reference diskette that I would need to change or is the drive dead and must be replaced?
Thanks!

Also, will OS/2 run fine on the 386SX based 486SLC chip?

Hi! I recently purchased an IBM PS/2 Model 57SLC and was hoping to install OS/2 Warp 3 on it. I ran into a major problem with the 2.88mb Floppy Drive. It refuses to read any disk, stating that they are formatted, and when you try to format the drive fails and does nothing.

Is there something on the reference diskette that I would need to change or is the drive dead and must be replaced?
Thanks!

Also, will OS/2 run fine on the 386SX based 486SLC chip?

OS/2 was even pre-installed on some submodels of the Model 57. If it isn't reading known good diskettes, it is probably going to be a bad drive. Replacements are out there (i.e. eBay), and shouldn't be too bad on cost.

It has 95 on the hard disk right now which runs poorly. I guess I will have to get a new drive. Thanks!

Back