• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Brian Todd

Experienced Member
I am in the process of purchasing a Model 30 which comes complete with an 8503 monitor (burn in free), Model M keyboard and PS/2 mouse. The unit is in great cosmetic condition, and the seller has replaced the original Alps floppy drive with a Mitshubishi unit from a donor unit. The original hard drive has been recapped and is fully functioning. It would seem to be a late Model 30 (8086) as 1989 is shown on the PSU label. My question is, are there any specifics I should be on the look out for when I pick it up? Thanks!

Congrats on finding a low mileage model 30! Not sure if there's anything major to look out for as long as it boots, if you're unfamiliar with the PS/2 model 25 and 30 systems (8086 variants) then the only odd things are going to be the non-standard HDD interface and the MCGA graphics (not quite VGA). They are great turbo XT class systems that will play a lot of old DOS games just fine. One thing to look out for I suppose would be the battery on the ISA riser on the 8086 systems, but I don't recall those failing to the point of leaking much. But take a look at the riser to make sure this hasn't leaked.

Specifically to the model M, make sure all the keys work. If they have been stored in a moist environment they tend to be prone to corrosion which can cause some keys (lower row especially) to get flaky.

Thanks Ross, much appreciated! I will double check the battery on the riser, but from the photographs I have seen it looks fine .. I assume this is to power the RTC? Good also to know about the model M, will double check when I pick the unit up. Should be interesting, it is currently running Windows 3.0 with some old DOS games.

Cool! Just play a few games and make sure it doesn't freeze or reboot and you'll be fine.

I think the battery powers the RTC and NVRAM. My keyboard basically drowned in condensation, eventually ended up replacing it with a different low-mileage model M. So that's probably the thing I'd pay the most attention to.

Yes, it does! I have the same model, mine I think it's earlier, made in UK '87 or '88, and put inside an early Sound Blaster 16 and it works flawless. Sound Blaster ISA 16 are easier to find and much cheaper than the 8 bit ones (if found...). As it was pointed before, another good update should be installing a VGA card, as the on-board MCGA is quite more limited on every sense. I have a 16 bit OAK and I've also tried a 16 bit Trident and both work great. I also put inside an XT-CF Lite for easy transferring files from modern systems, and also to avoid stressing the original hard drive, that still works but I like to be cautious...

And just cannot be put anything else inside, as it only has 3 slots. Pitty, as I would love to install a network card.

I'm also using an HP keyboard from 2008 (PS/2 socket), a brand new mouse (also PS/2, not serial) and an LG CRT monitor, as my unit no longer had the original ones when I bought it. Unfortunately, as it's usual on this models, the diskette drive is starting to fail. Now it only lists the files and runs a few of them but fails on many others.

Thanks Carlos, this is great news! Good to know that the Sound Blaster 16 works as I probably still have one stashed away somewhere. Did you have to disable the MCGA onboard when you installed the VGA? I am not sure whether I will be doing this as the 8503 monitor is also kinda cool. Seems that the previous owner did me a huge favour by replacing the original Alps diskette drive reading your post!

Fortunately, the system is smart enough to automatically disable the internal MCGA by itself, so installing a VGA card is just plug and play. The 8503 is totally compatible with VGA cards as it's an analog monitor, at least up to 640x480 for graphics and 720x400 for text modes.

Yeah, the original monitor does not do higher than 640x480 unfortunately, but otherwise is just fine for gaming! Anything requiring higher res graphics would be painful on an 8086 anyway.

I ended up buying the unit as it seems original with the exeception of the mouse. It is a later unit as it was manufactured on 08 August 1989 (thanks IBM for stamping that under the cover), and it works flawlessly. Also looks pretty good!

IMG_1001.jpg

I am really surprised that the original battery is still there, not leaking and indeed even holding a charge still .. no idea what magic they did back in the day 😂

IMG_0994.jpg

What does concern me is that there is a D8087 coprocessor installed (see pic below). I have checked it with 87test and it passes all stress tests with flying colours. nevertheless, unless I am mistaken the D8087 runs at 5MHz versus the 8MHz of the 8086. Does that mean the coprocessor is now "overclocked" or is the 8086 now running at 5MHz. If this is no big deal then I will just leave as is, and otherwise I will source a D8087-1 which will always be ok.

IMG_0991.jpg

Would much appreciate your thoughts on the coprocessor please!

Last edited:
Yes, it does! I have the same model, mine I think it's earlier, made in UK '87 or '88, and put inside an early Sound Blaster 16 and it works flawless. Sound Blaster ISA 16 are easier to find and much cheaper than the 8 bit ones (if found...). As it was pointed before, another good update should be installing a VGA card, as the on-board MCGA is quite more limited on every sense. I have a 16 bit OAK and I've also tried a 16 bit Trident and both work great. I also put inside an XT-CF Lite for easy transferring files from modern systems, and also to avoid stressing the original hard drive, that still works but I like to be cautious...

And just cannot be put anything else inside, as it only has 3 slots. Pitty, as I would love to install a network card.

I'm also using an HP keyboard from 2008 (PS/2 socket), a brand new mouse (also PS/2, not serial) and an LG CRT monitor, as my unit no longer had the original ones when I bought it. Unfortunately, as it's usual on this models, the diskette drive is starting to fail. Now it only lists the files and runs a few of them but fails on many others.

Carlos, how did you get the SB16 working? I have a SB ISA 16 (which is PnP) and put it in the riser. When installing SB2.0 DOS drivers, I could not get the drivers to recognise the base address (h220 etc.). Should I have set the variable SET BLASTER= line in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file before installing the DOS drivers or is a PnP just a step too far for the Model 30? Cheers!

Good stuff.

Personnaly though I do think GeoWorks 1.2 Professional would be better. Far far more function. No Reversi though :)

I wouldn't even bother with PnP play stuff on these Ye Olde systems at alll at alll.....
IMG_20230510_041600.jpg

Last edited:
Fine if you are using MS Fight Sim for Dos or other mathematical intensive programs such as spreadsheets.

My old gal runs at 10Mhz ;)
It is a really nice rig .. of course I will be on the lookout for a decent VGA card in the near future as I see what Carlos means about the MCGA being pretty limited. I managed to locally source an 8087-1 so that will fix any potential "overclocking" issues ;)

And Caluser ... 10 whole MHz .. absolutely mindblowing 😂

Lol! Just an OAK vga card should be just fine. I got got mine free from an Amiga fan with the EGA monitor and video card so will keep that setup untill something pukes up;)

Lol! Just an OAK vga card should be just fine. I got got mine free from an Amiga fan with the EGA monitor and video card so will keep that setup untill something pukes up;)
Crazy question maybe, but the VGA cards I see around all take a full ISA slot whereas my IBM only has the "front" part of the VGA on the riser (if that makes any sense). Could this Trident card work maybe, which is on offer locally:

VGA.jpg

Some 16-bit vga video cards 9like the one in your pic) in 8-bit slots. Modem7s site has quite a comprehensive list a list of 16-bit video cards that will work on xt class systems with the rear portion hanger over the back ;)

Some 16-bit vga video cards 9like the one in your pic) in 8-bit slots. Modem7s site has quite a comprehensive list a list of 16-bit video cards that will work on xt class systems with the rear portion hanger over the back ;)
Ah yes .... completely forgot that the riser had 8-bit slots! Best I look for a card from Modem7s list then I guess. Probably also explains why the system is not too keen on the SB16 PnP :oops:

Ah yes .... completely forgot that the riser had 8-bit slots! Best I look for a card from Modem7s list then I guess. Probably also explains why the system is not too keen on the SB16 PnP :oops:
UUUUMMM NOPE! ;)

I've got and an Amstratd branded Adlib clone I got from a fucked up 2286 I had. Itwas the only good bit to be saved.

Still have the Amstrad software that came with it too. :)

Back