• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 50 new floppy drive

Tweak112

Hey folks,

i recently bought a IBM PS/2 Model 50 unfortunately without a working floppy drive.
The problem is that i need a "new old" floppy drive pretty soon to reinstall MS-DOS. Since it is quite hard to find such old drives i was wondering, if it is possible to plug
a newish IDE drive into my PS/2. I also heard that it is possible to emulate a floppy drive but I have no idea how.
I also have this strange feature to plug in a floppy drive straight into the PCB (as seen on the Picture)

20160801_190118.jpg

I would really really appreciate any kind of help and please excuse my english skills.

chulofiasco

Experienced Member
Hey folks,

i recently bought a IBM PS/2 Model 50 unfortunately without a working floppy drive.
The problem is that i need a "new old" floppy drive pretty soon to reinstall MS-DOS. Since it is quite hard to find such old drives i was wondering, if it is possible to plug
a newish IDE drive into my PS/2. I also heard that it is possible to emulate a floppy drive but I have no idea how.
I also have this strange feature to plug in a floppy drive straight into the PCB (as seen on the Picture)

View attachment 32459

I would really really appreciate any kind of help and please excuse my english skills.

I've got drives for these. Send me a PM or drop me an email, ibm@nyceonline.net

Thanks,
Lorenzo

Tweak112

Sure, thats why i was wondering if it is possible to adapt a IDE drive.
Thank you I will take a look at this. So it seems that there aren't any kind of IDE adapters on the market?

vwestlife

Veteran Member
IDE (PATA) is a parallel bus; the floppy interface is a bit-serial bus that has floppy-specific pins on it. Compare floppy signals with IDE signals and you'll see that they're nothing alike.

I've seen that confusion a lot. People who are unfamiliar with older PC hardware think that any drive interface that uses a ribbon cable is IDE.