• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM System/36 5364 initialize hard drive

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I am trying to initialize my 5364 hard drive form the services menu option 6. I get past the first two screens until it prompts for the bad sector map. The drive has 7 heads 732 cylinders. It is listed in the drive as type 0665 44mb. The same type as my AT.

The screen prompts for cylinder, head and then offset in bytes from index the acceptable value is 13 to 10353. My hard drive list a bad sector may as cylinder, head, sector.

I do not know how to make the translation from cylinder, sector to cylinder, bytes from index.

It's an ESDI drive that I would like to find a replacement. I have found an ESDI emulator online, but have no idea it it could be used as a replacement.

Bear I though so to, I even went as far as ordering a MFM emulator to use as a second drive in the 5364. The two people I know who know the most about these machines and have helped me a great deal, both assure me that the drive is an ESDI drive. It does have type 0665 labeled on it.

I hope you are right, because I do not hold out much hope of finding another drive if I cannot get this one initialized.

there are actually some decent pics of the inside of the 5364 under http://www.supervinx.com/OnlineMuseum/IBM/5364/01 thru 03

is the 20 pin disk drive cable connected to the motherboard or to one of the IBM cards like the ones in the pictures.
i'm wondering if MFM disks were supported with a different disk controlller

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 11.02.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 11.02.08 AM.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
there is a disk controller that was for MFM disks. It has a WD2010 controller on it
which is probably what is in your machine. the picture is in the 01 directory

Attachments

• 007-01018293.JPG
    007-01018293.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes, the 5364 could have 40 MB (0665) drives with an ST412 controller, or 70 MB (0667) drives with an ESDI controller. I didn't know how to identify which controller was which (without looking at the drives) but I must've overlooked the WD2010 in mine. Not sure what the ESDI model uses; I haven't seen one myself.

The 0665-53 isn't that uncommon, they were also used in the PS/2 Models 60 and 80, and (briefly) in the RT-PC.

Al.

The 20 pin cable is connected to the motherboard exactly as the pictures you supplied show.

Attached are pictures of the 5364 and the 2 disk drives I have. The original drive is similar to the ones Al posted. The second I purchased on eBay to see if it could be configured as a second hard drive.

I tried to update from Release 4.0 to SSP 5.1.
The update appeared to complete without errors, but the system will not IPL without errors after the upgrade.

I have tried to initialize the disk and perform a fresh install of 5.1 but no luck so far.

I was thinking of trying the disk I purchased as Drive A, but could not translate the bad sector map.

I can install either hard drive I have as a single drive with a terminator resistor in place and try the initialize option from the Service Menu and I receive the SCR 951 error, which is a parament disk a error from the 5364 service code documentation on Bitsavers.

I can install both drives and run the initialize option and it allows me to take the option 6 and shows both the first initialize screen and the verify you want to initialize Drive A screen. I then get the bad sector map and I key in the bad sector map from the drive above. It starts the initialize option and then errors out with SCR 944 error , which is "Not permitted to assign alternate sectors for disk a, cylinder 9, head 0.

The suggested option is IPL with wraps whatever that is and try the initialize options again.

I move the terminator resistor to the other drive and swapped the drives cable connections, same result.

Back