• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Token Ring 16/4 Adaptor packet Driver (IBM 5170)

robbo007

Experienced Member
Hi guys,
Does anyone know if there is a MSDOS packet driver for the IBM Token Ring 16/4 network adapters? I've installed the IBM program network disk but this includes a driver only for IBM PC LAN NETWORKS with Netbui. I'm trying to use the mTCP suite to get the TCP/IP stack working but thus requires a packet driver.

I'm sorry, but mTCP was written with Ethernet in mind. So it requires a "class 1" packet driver which is specifically Ethernet, not a "class 3" with is for Token Ring.

I have some old Token Ring gear in the house (an ISA card or two) but I've never set it up, and I have not seen Token Ring in use professionally since about 2003. I'd be happy to make the changes to mTCP to support Token Ring, but that's a project and it also requires having a gateway machine that can bridge both Token Ring and Ethernet. Linux can do this, but I'm not sure how well modern Linux supports Token Ring anymore.

I have the same set of problems with the IBM Cluster Network. I can port mTCP to it, but then I still need to setup a gateway between the Cluster machines and the rest of the world. And *nothing* supports that now, so I'd be writing that code too.

Take a look at the .doc I linked, it says it translates Ethernet packet driver calls to 802.2 LLC frames.

I have this setup working

Oh wow. I've just tried that packet driver. Seems to work.Very cool.Thanks for that.

mbbrutman Would be great to have it included in mTCP. I guess your version would be more optional than the 1989 version of ibm token.com. I use a Cisco 2016 router to bridge traffic between my token ring and ethernet LAN.

Back