• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM XT low level formatting w/WD 1002

orlandoave

Experienced Member
I have used this XT successfully to low level and format with DOS 6.2.2. a Seagate 225 with a WD 1002 card.
Great results. I have another WD 1002 card and another Seagate 225 and am facing these erors.
At startup the 1709 error, controller card, but the other one did that too. Debug g=c800:5 solved that.
Debug g=c800:5 is working but prematurely stops with a completion code of 80. The drive
sounds good. Is this a jumper setting incorrectly set?
Thanks for any help.

I have another WD 1002 card and another Seagate 225 and am facing these erors.
Specifically, which variation of the WD1002 ?
Examples at [here].

At startup the 1709 error, controller card, but the other one did that too. Debug g=c800:5 solved that.
The 1709 error is displayed by the controller card, and there is no universal meaning for the 17xx series errors.
You would have to hope that the user manual for your controller card lists the meanings of the 17xx errors that it can generate.
Western Digital may have been consistent among its various models.

Good to know that a low-level format rectified the 1709 error for the other Western Digital controller.

a completion code of 80.
The code of 80 (hex) is sure to be a time-out error, per the list at [here].

You have a second WD1002+ST-225 combination, one that is working. Can you not use that to determine what is wrong in the subject combination (controller or drive)?

I found another WD controller 1004 model and after a LOT of formatting work it is now working.
I thank you all for the quick responses.

Back