• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM XT with a sick HD - New panel with old look.

flaviosr

Experienced Member
Dear All,

my beloved IBM XT is showing some signs of age... the HD (with many bad sectors but steady for years) has some new (more) bad sectors.
I have some other MFM HDs... BUT I would not like to use them! My issue is that I USE this XT!!! It can write and read almost every old disc... :) (TA Alphatronic, Olivetti M20 (!!!!! Umbelievable), Osborne..)
I have already found a new 8bit IDE controller and this will solve my main issue (I hope).
But now I have an "aspect issue". I would like to retain the "old" look.
Do you know if do exist double 5.25 front panels with integrated led with the same look as the original one?

Thank you

Full height drive bay covers with a LED port for hard drives did exist but I haven't seen anyone selling one in decades. I suspect the best option today would be to modify one of the 3d printed plans for a full height bay cover to include a hole for a LED.

Full height drive bay covers with a LED port for hard drives did exist but I haven't seen anyone selling one in decades. I suspect the best option today would be to modify one of the 3d printed plans for a full height bay cover to include a hole for a LED.

I've got a couple, but they are not perfect, one Black and one Grey, the Black one has the LED with the Connector, the Grey one the LED is Broken off at the Connector. The Black one has a few Dings along the edges.

Or remove the knackered hard drive from the original frame and refit the frame with original front cover and wire the LED up, Keeps it's original look.

Here is what I have. I found a Replacement LED from a HH HD Cover, but the Bad LED seems to be stuck in the hole and won't push out, so I will leave it to the person that buys it to perform the operation.

DSCF2662.jpgDSCF2663.jpgDSCF2664.jpgDSCF2665.jpgDSCF2666.jpg

When I did something similar, putting a Pentium 1 board in and XT clone case, I found that just hot gluing the front cover onto the front of the IDE hard drive worked fine and looked good. I think I used 3.5" to 5.25" adapter brackets meant for a floppy drive so I could push the hard drive farther forward to be in line with the rest of the drives. I'll try and post a picture of what I did if you want.

When I did something similar, putting a Pentium 1 board in and XT clone case, I found that just hot gluing the front cover onto the front of the IDE hard drive worked fine and looked good. I think I used 3.5" to 5.25" adapter brackets meant for a floppy drive so I could push the hard drive farther forward to be in line with the rest of the drives. I'll try and post a picture of what I did if you want.

It would be great!!! Thank you

Here are a couple pictures of what I did. I pulled the front cover off a dead ST225 hard drive and the ide hard drive fit nearly perfectly between the brackets on the back of the panel. With a little trimming I was able to just hot glue it directly on the front of the ide hard drive and add 3.5" to 5.25" adapater I had that I think were from a floppy or zip drive. Unless you use a similar drive with the rounded front edge I'd say you probably need a spacer but it should still work fine. Really simple and it worked great for me
20190603_081128.jpg20190603_081142.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of what I did. I pulled the front cover off a dead ST225 hard drive and the ide hard drive fit nearly perfectly between the brackets on the back of the panel. With a little trimming I was able to just hot glue it directly on the front of the ide hard drive and add 3.5" to 5.25" adapater I had that I think were from a floppy or zip drive. Unless you use a similar drive with the rounded front edge I'd say you probably need a spacer but it should still work fine. Really simple and it worked great for me
View attachment 53710View attachment 53711

Very nice and clean job! My congrats! :)

Have you tried a fresh low level format on the drive? Also, I would recommend lubricating the head stepper motor if it has not been done ever.

Have you tried a fresh low level format on the drive? Also, I would recommend lubricating the head stepper motor if it has not been done ever.

I have already done it and I have recovered it once... I have never lubricated the motor... can you suggest me a good "luquide"? Brand and type?

Lots of opinions out there on lubricating steppers, but I use regular 3-in-1 oil and put a drop around the end of the shaft on the back and/or front of the stepper motor, depending on the type of drive and how accessible it is. This can help with seek issues caused by sticking stepper bearings.

Back