• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IDE cdrom emulator?

Is it possible to use something like an IDE to SD adapter and dd an iso to an SD card?

If it's not possible, where can I find an IDE cdrom emulator device?

Shouldn't be difficult. On occasion I have copied the files from a cd to a folder, and use the install from the hard drive.

For emulating a hard drive, Ghost would work... or VHD (virtual hard drive, like an ISO basically) with imgdisk . For emulating a CDROM, daemon tools.

EDIT: Forgot you may wish to use MSDOS as well, Daemon tools is for windows, for dos you want FakeCD.

Last edited:
For DOS and .iso there is also SHSUCDX and SHSUCDHD

SHSUCDX is an MSCDEX replacement
SHSUCDHD can mount an .iso as a CDROM drive

What is the use case? A Pentium can run Windows 9x, so you can use Deamon Tools to emulate a CD drive and mount images.

Or do you need actual hardware that behaves like a CD drive?

Just dd'ing an ISO to SD card will not work, as it will still be treated as a hard disk, at least on a PC (on a Mac, however, that would actually work).

I would not mind a device similar to a GOTEK floppy emulator. Not necessary but conceptually interesting.

I believe current solutions can emulate SCSI CD-ROM drives without issue, and these should work on PCs as well. Normally, there is little need, although I'd be interested in emulation of the older, proprietary drives. I've got a system (notebook docking station) which does not work with an IDE drive, but has no issues with a Panasonic one.

Many non-PC devices (e.g. Amiga, Macintosh, Sun workstations) use SCSI peripherals, and there are solutions for them. Sun workstations use CD-ROM drives with 512 bytes/sector instead of 2048 bytes/sector, and Apple computers heavily prefer Apple-branded devices. According to some posts at https://68kmla.org, SCSI2SD and AzulSCSI (probably many others as well) should be able to emulate them.

SCSI devices are compatible across architectures, so these devices should also work on PCs, given a SCSI card.

I have not used SCSI devices in a very long time, so I cannot provide personal experience.

Good to know such things exist. One of my retro PCs does not like Daemon Tools. I've no clue why, but it'd be nice to have a hardware solution like the gotek.

There are lots of scsi solutions. the scsi2sd folks went on to make ZuluSCSI, several various SCSI hdd and cd emulation models.

They have a beta ZuluIDE I have been testing. It should work with CD images primarily. Reach out to Rabbit Hole Computing if you want to get one. However be aware upfront it's an "open beta" situation, so you can buy one but there may be issues to report.

There was one other IDE ODE but it's been sold out for ages. ZuluIDE will probably be the best hope in OPs request for the foreseeable future.

There are lots of scsi solutions. the scsi2sd folks went on to make ZuluSCSI, several various SCSI hdd and cd emulation models.

They have a beta ZuluIDE I have been testing. It should work with CD images primarily. Reach out to Rabbit Hole Computing if you want to get one. However be aware upfront it's an "open beta" situation, so you can buy one but there may be issues to report.

There was one other IDE ODE but it's been sold out for ages. ZuluIDE will probably be the best hope in OPs request for the foreseeable future.

I want one of those when its out of beta! Its probably not going to be cheaper than my idea of just burning a bunch of CDs, but I still want one.

Back