• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IEEE Flash 64 cartridge by Skyles Electric Works - help?

retrobits

Experienced Member
Hi there,

Along with a SFD-1001 drive that I recently acquired, I also received an IEEE Flash 64 cartridge by Skyles Electric Works. This is an IEEE-488 interface for the C64. It doesn't appear to work; however, I have no instructions for it. Can anyone assist on how the unit is configured?

There are four DIP switches on the unit, and a single wire that extends out of the cartridge. I feel like that wire must be important. I saw a similar wire on a picture of the related "Quicksilver 128" cartridge by the same company.

If anyone has a manual or could offer some basic assistance, that would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thanks!

- Earl

I found the manuals to the Quicksilver [below abbreviated QS64] and Quicksilver 128 [QS128]. Both have four DIP switches as following:

SW1: IEEE Flash! 64 on/off
This switch is located farthest from the computer.
QS64: Left = off, right = on
QS128: Left = C128 mode, right = C64 mode (enable IEEE Flash! 64)

SW2: IEEE serial device #8
When this switch is to the right, all access to device #8 goes through the cartridge. Otherwise device #8 will be handled by the IEC bus.

SW3: IEEE serial device #9/#10
When this switch is to the right, all access to devices #9 and #10 go through the cartridge, otherwise by the IEC bus.

SW4: IEEE serial device #4
Same as above, but for device #4 (printer).

Momentary switch: reset computer
Mounted on the left rear side of the cartridge.

POKE 148,8 will make the cartridge ignore the DIP switches and send all data through the cartridge to IEEE devices.
POKE 148,72 as above but will send all data through the IEC bus

POKE 56835,52 will enable 1541 Flash! mode if you have a floppy drive fitted with that expansion, only works for those devices you set with DIP switches

Both the QS64 and QS128 have a white microclip that goes into the computer:

C128: Attach to pin #29 on the 8502 CPU (only used for Flash! 64 mode)
C64: Attach to resistor R44, various locations depending on motherboard revision
SX-64: Attach to pin #7 on the PLA

If you send me a PM, I will post a link to a manual.

Back