• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IIe drops to prompt even with disk controller in slot 6

mc68010

Experienced Member
I have a IIe where it it drops to the prompt as soon as it is powered on ignoring the floppy controller. I've tried cleaning the contacts and different controllers and still the same. PR#6 just hangs. I've reseated everything that can be with no change. Any thoughts ?

Either the card or the slot is bad. Try putting that or a different controller in a different slot... say 4 or 5 and try that.

Either the card or the slot is bad. Try putting that or a different controller in a different slot... say 4 or 5 and try that.

The controller card is good. I pulled it from a working IIe. It does the same thing in any slot. Seems more like an issue with the slots.

The controller card is good. I pulled it from a working IIe. It does the same thing in any slot. Seems more like an issue with the slots.

So, you can put it back into the working IIe and get it to work still? Or was it simply working when it was removed, but hasn't been tested since then?

The issue you describe sounds similar to a known failure condition, IIRC caused by a blown PROM.

The never-read problem was due to a blown 74xx chip on the analog board in the disk drive itself... but that would only happen on the 20-pin header controller, not the 19-pin D-shell connector one. I agree, it is time to try again on the known-good computer and make sure it still works .

mc6800, what is your disk drive plug like?

The never-read problem was due to a blown 74xx chip on the analog board in the disk drive itself... but that would only happen on the 20-pin header controller, not the 19-pin D-shell connector one. I agree, it is time to try again on the known-good computer and make sure it still works .

mc6800, what is your disk drive plug like?

The controller card works fine in another Apple IIe. I have them setup next to each other and swapped IC between them seeing if any fixed the problem. It didn't but, the other IIe is a later model with most stuff soldered in. I actually have run into the bad controller thing before. It's not that.

Here's another clue its the slots. I put a serial card in and when I IN# to the slot it just starts spewing down the screen with F055 and the registers until I turn it off. The S= portion is incrementing up as it scrolls down the screen.

Back