• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IIgs owner: Prosel or GSOS?

Call-151

Experienced Member
Would like to hear from IIgs owners out there. Which do you prefer to use; Prosel 8/16 or GSOS? On my system I currently run on System 6.0.1, while its nice graphically its pretty slow, and I hate how the windows do not close when you open them up, especially if you have to dig deep into a directory/sub directory. I haven't tried Prosel 8/16 on the IIgs but I have used it back when I had a //e (1988) and I like how its text based and no nonsense. Anyways Just curious to know what you use and why you like it.

GS/OS all the way. Yes, it's slow (without an accelerator anyway, ha), but if you don't like the windows interface in general GS/OS has plenty of system extensions to make file management and access easier. I use Transprog III which basically gives you the features of the START menu in windows. Just create shortcuts for all of your favorite programs, create categories to store them in and you're done.

You know you can hold down Option when opening a folder or file to close its parent folder, right? That'll save you from having twenty windows open digging through a folder hierarchy. Works on classic Mac OS, too.

Anyway, GS/OS is absolutely worth using if you've got a megabyte of RAM or more.

Go with GS/OS. I like it for it's connection to the IIGS (GS is in both ;)) and that it's original OS to the IIGS.
Booting it from a hard drives also speeds it's loading time.

If you like the command prompt, GNO/ME is another option. It provides a UNIX style shell on top of GS/OS.

Back