• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IIgs ROM identifying

One Man Band

Experienced Member
Hi...

I just received two IIgs' without any other devices. Is there a way to know which ROM they have just by looking at the mobo/chips? I can't turn them on to check the boot screen.

Thanks,

]3ob

I don't know if this holds true universally, but I checked the 6 machines I have here, and all those with ROM1 have the battery soldered directly to the motherboard. Those with ROM3 have the battery in a battery holder, so that no soldering is required to replace the battery. Also the ROM3 battery is adjacent to and in line with the power supply connector on the motherboard, whereas the batteries on the ROM1 boards are closer to the edge of the motherboard, not adjacent to the power supply connector. Again, I don't know if this holds true universally, but it differentiates the motherboards I have here w/o having to power them ON.

Ken

Apple IIGS Motherboards ROM 1 vs ROM 3

Apple IIGS Motherboards ROM 1 vs ROM 3

Here's photos of the Apple IIGS ROM 1 and ROM 3 motherboards from my systems. Hope this helps you in identifying your boards.

Ken

Attachments

• Apple IIGS ROM 1 Motherboard.jpg
    Apple IIGS ROM 1 Motherboard.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Apple IIGS ROM 3 Motherboard.jpg
    Apple IIGS ROM 3 Motherboard.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
I'm not sure there's a way to tell by looking at the board the difference between ROM 0 and ROM 1.

Besides, the computer will tell you itself if you plug it into a composite video monitor (most TVs) and switch it on. No other peripherals required.

I'm not sure there's a way to tell by looking at the board the difference between ROM 0 and ROM 1.

Besides, the computer will tell you itself if you plug it into a composite video monitor (most TVs) and switch it on. No other peripherals required.

If you look at the pictures it's easy to tell the difference by looking. The "fast" memory, the GS main memory, is located on the right hand side of the motherboard.

The ROM 01 has four memory chips for the 256k that came standard on it.

The ROM 03 has eight memory chips for the 1MB that came standard on it.

Dean

Thanks guys. They're definitely ROM3's. The Apple IIgs printing on the mother board is along the edge (ROM3), not under the 4 chips (ROM1), and it's the "IIGS" of ROM3, not the "//GS" of the ROM1.

Any idea of they're worth? I'm going to clean them up and stick them on eBay (unless someone here wants them) with a couple of drives each. They have the cases and power supplies. I have a M0100 mouse I can include as well.

Another question I thought of: any opinions on if I should part them out (mobo, ps, case), or keep them intact?

]3ob

Last edited:
If you look at the pictures it's easy to tell the difference by looking. The "fast" memory, the GS main memory, is located on the right hand side of the motherboard.

The ROM 01 has four memory chips for the 256k that came standard on it.

The ROM 03 has eight memory chips for the 1MB that came standard on it.

Dean

Yes, there's no arguing that. I said there's no way I know of to tell the difference between ROM 0 and ROM 1 by looking at the motherboard, though.

Back