• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IMG or DSK file for System 7.5.3 (all 19)

Windows XP

When I get a 7.5.3 image I get 19 .smi files, and I prefer .dsk or .img files instead.
I have 7-Zip installed, but it doesn't open .smi files.
Where can I get all 19 7.5.3 images in either .img or .dsk format?

The .smi file format is a self extracting disk image made by Smaller Installer. No modern program knows how to use the file, you must open it on a Macintosh with System 7.x installed.

When a .smi image is opened on a Mac, it will create a virtual disk image on the desktop, where you can copy the contents to a floppy disk in the floppy drive.

The .smi file format is a self extracting disk image made by Smaller Installer. No modern program knows how to use the file,
That's not correct.

SMI stands for Self-Mounting Image. Disk Image Mounter under OS X, versions 10.0 thru 10.6 will mount them.

Are you sure you have 19 .smi files? My copy of the System 7.5.3 download has 1 "smi.bin" file (numbered 1), plus 18 "part.bin" files (numbered 2 through 18). The instructions that accompanied it say to double-click on the first part to "mount the compressed disk image on your desktop." So I think this is 1 large image in 19 parts, rather than 19 individual disk images.

System 7.5.3 came as a set of 19 1.44 MB floppies, or on CD-ROM.

Apple in the mid 90s was in disarray after Jobs left the company, they went on a buying spree of third party software to incorporate into System 7 in an effort to modernize it and keep it on life support until their next big OS codenamed Copland was released. We all know how that went, and Apple spent a few more years cobbling together the quivering remains of Copland, 3rd party software and shoestring APIs to get System 8 and 9 before Jobs came back and got them on track again with Mac OS X.

By the time OS 9 came around, MacOS was a dumpster fire that was surprising it worked at all from years of internal faction conflicts and gross mismanagement.

Dragging it to the Mini vMac window shows an X, even Disk 1, which is bootable.
I have a Windows PC.

Yes.
I have 1 smi.bin and 18 part.bin files.
I need to use them on Mini vMac on Windows.

I can't mount the images on Windows, dragging them to Mini vMac shows the X on the floppy.

I have a PC and I want to install the system onto Mini vMac.

Change:
When I get a 7.5.3 image I get 1 .smi.bim file, and 18 .part.bin files, and I prefer .dsk or .img files instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
The .smi file format is a self extracting disk image made by Smaller Installer. No modern program knows how to use the file, you must open it on a Macintosh with System 7.x installed.

When a .smi image is opened on a Mac, it will create a virtual disk image on the desktop, where you can copy the contents to a floppy disk in the floppy drive.

I have a PC.

Dragging it to the Mini vMac window shows an X, even Disk 1, which is bootable.
I have a Windows PC.

.smi.bin is a Macintosh self mounting image, it is not bootable. You'll need to use an ancient version of Stuffit Expander to decompress the archive (version 4 to 6) and then run the .smi to get the self mounting disk image on a real or emulated MacOS install.

When I get a 7.5.3 image I get 1 .smi.bim file, and 18 .part.bin files, and I prefer .dsk or .img files instead.

Here is a System 7.5 ISO:
https://winworldpc.com/download/3dc3aec3-b125-18c3-9a11-c3a4e284a2ef

I haven't tested it so I don't know if it works. You'd be better off using the Basilisk II emulator, it supports color, is faster and you can run up to MacOS 8.1 on it.
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5282&sid=ced0f28b5e4ade645db3c1ed2ba0b82d

You'll need a real Mac II ROM, which is available on the internet if you don't have a real machine to dump the ROM from.

.smi.bin is a Macintosh self mounting image, it is not bootable. You'll need to use an ancient version of Stuffit Expander to decompress the archive (version 4 to 6) and then run the .smi to get the self mounting disk image on a real or emulated MacOS install.

Here is a System 7.5 ISO:
https://winworldpc.com/download/3dc3aec3-b125-18c3-9a11-c3a4e284a2ef

I haven't tested it so I don't know if it works. You'd be better off using the Basilisk II emulator, it supports color, is faster and you can run up to MacOS 8.1 on it.
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5282&sid=ced0f28b5e4ade645db3c1ed2ba0b82d

You'll need a real Mac II ROM, which is available on the internet if you don't have a real machine to dump the ROM from.

Mini vMac only works with floppy images.

It's a common problem for old Macintosh archives. A lot of the stuff that was archived as "warez", back when the stuff was new, was intended that Mac users would download everything directly to their machines. Of course, that is almost impossible today.

So instead of standard 400k, 800k, 1.44mb, or ISO images, you get all kinds of crazy compressed formats like SIT, SMI, HQX, BIN, or such. Worse yet, archives that have been converted to ZIP/RAR/7z but automatically discarding resource forks, that renders most contents unusable.

So, unfortunately, the workflow for getting most Mac archives to a real Mac involves loading them up in an emulator, extracting them, and making disk images.

If it is something you do a lot, some Macs can support other options such as networked Apple file sharing, or SCSI Iomega Zip drives.

Actually, Basillisk II has a really neat feature where you can pull a SCSI hard drive from a Mac, and attach it to a PC with a SCSI card like an Adaptec AHA-2940U and then mount it directly within the emulator. Makes an easy way to install MacOS or transfer over very large archives.

[...] you get all kinds of crazy compressed formats like SIT, SMI, HQX, BIN, or such.[...]

So, unfortunately, the workflow for getting most Mac archives to a real Mac involves loading them up in an emulator, extracting them, and making disk images.

I almost never use disk images to transfer software to my Macintosh. I use XMODEM file transfers over a serial connection (USB-to-serial adapter on my modern Mac) to transfer the "crazy compressed formats," and unpack/decode them on the Mac.

I encode everything using MacBinary, and FreeTerm on the Mac will automatically decode it. Avoid BinHex, as it's a waste of disk space and time (takes longer to decode than MacBinary).

If it is something you do a lot, some Macs can support other options such as networked Apple file sharing
AppleShare is definitely the best option in most cases, where possible.

I'm trying to upload some disk images, but I no longer have FTP on my Mac. Apple removed ftpd. I tried tnftpd, but the CLI is so user-unfriendly, I've given up. I don't want to spend 5 hours trying to parse a man page.

I tried a free one called QuickFTP Server, but it doesn't work either. I'm guessing it's incompatible with APFS because it won't show files or accept uploads even though it's set to Read & Write.

So ... I don't know what else to do. I'm hesitant to buy an FTP server package because I don't know if it'll work.

I'll fiddle with trying to get one to run on Windows maybe, but Windows will delete the Resource Forks. :/

Back