• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

In search of Model I Expansion Interface port covers

kengr

I recently acquired a really nice looking Model I Expansion Interface, and am in the process of troubleshooting. I'm optimistic that I'll get it working, so I am interested in filling in the missing port covers, if I can.

Because the unit is in such great shape, I'd like to get covers that are good looking as well (good color, minimal/no scratches/cracks/dents).

Specifically, I'm looking for:

• Floppy port cover (43-pin size)
  • Printer port cover (34-pin size)
  • "Boxy" Expansion Interface cable hood for the cable between the EI and TRS-80
  • "Rounded" TRS-80 cable hood with reset button hole for the TRS-80 end of the EI cable

I already have the RS-232 port cover and the EI's 40-pin expansion port cover.

Does anyone know of a good source for these? I am willing to pay for them, of course.

Thanks.

I recently acquired a really nice looking Model I Expansion Interface, and am in the process of troubleshooting. I'm optimistic that I'll get it working, so I am interested in filling in the missing port covers, if I can.

Because the unit is in such great shape, I'd like to get covers that are good looking as well (good color, minimal/no scratches/cracks/dents).

Specifically, I'm looking for:

• Floppy port cover (43-pin size)
  • Printer port cover (34-pin size)
  • "Boxy" Expansion Interface cable hood for the cable between the EI and TRS-80
  • "Rounded" TRS-80 cable hood with reset button hole for the TRS-80 end of the EI cable

I already have the RS-232 port cover and the EI's 40-pin expansion port cover.

Does anyone know of a good source for these? I am willing to pay for them, of course.

Thanks.

I've managed to get a full set of all these connectors, and they are all sitting in a box because I like many others molested my Model I with gold edge adapters soldered on. I dont plan to sell them, but I tell you this because you might find that you'll want covers on ports you'll never use, and finding card edges that fit the notched connectors is not as easy as it sounds. If you ever put the gold edge connectors on you'll really just put them up.

I've seen them on ebay from time time, and I might even have a few extras, but heat is also an issue with the EI unless its 100% for show and will not be left powered (The transformers generate heat period).

Understood. Thanks for your input.

Back in the day, I did install gold-plated connectors on some of the card edges of my original expansion interface, but didn't have "goldification" plans the newly-acquired unit. The system is primarily for collection and for short demo purposes, and not for long-term heavy use, so I was going more for "completeness" than thermal practicality.

Understood. Thanks for your input.

Back in the day, I did install gold-plated connectors on some of the card edges of my original expansion interface, but didn't have "goldification" plans the newly-acquired unit. The system is primarily for collection and for short demo purposes, and not for long-term heavy use, so I was going more for "completeness" than thermal practicality.

Then you should search for them, but the worst part about the Model I is you still have to clean the contacts even if you rarely use it. Thats why I did the card edges. I only did them on the 40 pin bus in and out and keyboard out.

What you might want to do is silver solder the card edges I mentioned then you can really enjoy the look. I was going to do this, but decided after a few people on here pointed out the card edge extenders were period correct and I accepted that.

I've been where you are, and I think you'll be disappointed with occasional use unless you solve the tin edges.

Got it.

I will definitely consider the gold card edges. I remember soldering "E.A.P. Gold Plug" connectors to the keyboard and EI 40-pin edges on my original TRS-80 so very long ago.

Do you have a good source for these today? I haven't noticed them on ebay, and I see mention of them here and there (e.g., TRS-80.org), but I don't see them for sale. (Probably looking in the wrong places.)

Got it.

I will definitely consider the gold card edges. I remember soldering "E.A.P. Gold Plug" connectors to the keyboard and EI 40-pin edges on my original TRS-80 so very long ago.

Do you have a good source for these today? I haven't noticed them on ebay, and I see mention of them here and there (e.g., TRS-80.org), but I don't see them for sale. (Probably looking in the wrong places.)

I get them from Digikey, they aren't the same color as the "GoldPlugs" were but they are essentially the same thing. You need something like this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/EBC20MMNN/S7322-ND/1922811

You'll need to trim the solder ends a little, but I like them.

I found an unopened pack of the gold edge connectors in a box in the garage. I forgot I had them.

goldplugs - 1.jpggoldplugs - 2.jpg

Back