• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing win95 drivers

int 21h

Experienced Member
Hi there
I recently pulled a Pentium-S from a skip and today I decided to have a look at it. I fitted it with a CD-RW drive and it picked that up fine. I put in a CMI8738 soundcard and downloaded the drivers onto it from my FTP server (it has an ethernet card in it); It recognizes that these are the correct drivers but when I click "Finish" to install them on the Wizard nothing happens.. i.e. you can click finish again and again it does nothing. Anyone know what I could do to fix this?

It's been a while since I've used Win95.

Have a look in the device manager in "safe" mode and see if there are any question marks against any of the devices. Remove the these then restart the system. If that doesn't work try another sound card.

Out of pure interest what version of Windows 95 is it?

Hi there
There's none of them yellow question marks/exclamation marks; it doesn't show in device manager; but when I click refresh in device manager it detects it and that's when the driver install wizard shows

Does the sound-card have IRQ jumpers? Most of that vintage were hardware-configurable. You might have a conflict with another device using the same IRQ. Soundcard default is usually IRQ7, often shared with parallel "printer" port, but it is usually safe to select IRQ5 if available.

Rick

Interesting you should say that. I have 2 soundcards, one which is ISA and one which is PCI (that's the one in it now). Both have joystick ports and so does the ethernet card. The ethernet card stopped working when I had the ISA one in (AZTECH Sound Galaxy Pro16 II). The PCI one is a generic one which works fine with the ethernet. There's no jumpers on it (by the looks of it) but I will have another look at the AZTECH one now...

Hmm I set the PCI/PnP configuration to auto but the soundcard (galaxy) isn't being detected and the ethernet has stopped working again while they're both in there. Soundcard can be detected when ethernet card not in there :/

Pretty strong likelihood of IRQ conflict. If there are no hardware jumpers, there will be software setup options. If you don't see software setup utilities on your HDD, look through .ini files. Cards that are earlier than Plug-and-Play will not identify themselves to your BIOS, they must be manually configured. You can check in Control Panel/System/Device Manager for device resource conflicts.

rick

Got this working after a lot of messing about! I'm 20 so I'v never used IRQ settings or anything like that before so this has been a positive experience!
Thanks Rick

Well, I've been messing about amateurishly with home computing since 1980, and I still learn something most days from these forums. Most of us here are of lengthening tooth, so it is rewarding to encourage anyone from the generation that mostly thinks computing is about touch screen devices that you throw away after 18 months. With the vintage stuff, you can get your hands under the bonnet and tinker away.. it can be addictive. ;)

rick

Ah! Yes of course sorry :p
Not very good pics... I was horrified to discovered there's only 16 colours available :-( Was hoping for at least 256 but it's PCI so I'll get an upgrade soon.
IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Whats sort of video chipset is it? It probably just needs the correct drivers to display more colours.

Generic ISA cards of the time were capable of displaying 256 colours or more.

Also looks like that sound card is one of those "multimedia" combo cards with sound and also IDE HDD and Floppy Disk headers at the back, also possibly a CD-ROM header on the top.

Before CD-ROM interface was standardised to IDE/ATAPI, these combo cards could be set up for Panasonic, Mitsumi, Sony or some other type of CD-ROM drive (will only work with those vintage drives). If any of those unused ports are active, it could possibly be complicating resource allocation for IRQ, DMA or memory address space.

rick

Yeah heh it's got a Sony and Panasonic 40 ports on it and indeed the floppy! Is that floppy one usable? I was wondering which it was showing 2 devices in the device manager.... I guess that's why it was taking the extra IRQ port (2 for sound card, 1 for ethernet )
The VGA card is a SiS 6215
I'll see if there's any jumpers on the card to disable it

you haven't shown us the front of the cards, but if there is a 15-pin connector on the back, that will be a game port that is for joystick, but on these cards it usually doubles as a MIDI port where you can plug in music keyboards etc. If that has been detected, then the second IRQ for the sound card is probably for the MIDI port - usually this is IRQ 11, but it can be moved if clashing with something else. See if any MIDI device is present in the Device Manager. The correct drivers will also need to be present.

Driver download sites are always trying to sign you up to things you don't need. Best is to Google the item and look for a non-commercial download site such as a university archive or similar which will not tangle you up in bogus download links. If you don't find one like that, I'd recommend download.cnet.com as one of the least annoying one to download the driver for SiS 6125.

Last edited:
i think you could not find the correct driver of the hardware you want to install. you should try again on internet for correct driver otherwise you can also install the windows98 for this system.

Back