• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing XT-IDE and XT-FDC in same computer

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I have a XT-IDE and a XT-FDC with Sergey's bios installed in an IBM XT. I can boot from a compact flash card and access both the configured 1.2 meg and 360k floppies.
It will not boot from a floppy and I remember a post about a bios conflict. I read a post about gluing the bios together but to make sure the XT-IDE bios was last.

What is the procedure to combine the bios please.

I also remember seeing an early XT-FDC with the external connection was closer to the the mounting bracket than the secondary connector. Does anyone have a PCB they may be willing to sell, or the original files to order that version of a PCB.

Thanks,

Jimmy

I have a XT-IDE and a XT-FDC with Sergey's bios installed in an IBM XT. I can boot from a compact flash card and access both the configured 1.2 meg and 360k floppies.
It will not boot from a floppy and I remember a post about a bios conflict. I read a post about gluing the bios together but to make sure the XT-IDE bios was last.

I also remember seeing an early XT-FDC with the external connection was closer to the the mounting bracket than the secondary connector. Does anyone have a PCB they may be willing to sell, or the original files to order that version of a PCB.

Thanks,

Jimmy
pretty much all the systems I have that I use my variant of Sergeys floppy board use a combination floppy bios+xt ide bios. the side effect is you have to configure them before flashing. that said, I can help you with that and still have blank boards of my rework of the floppy board adding the 2nd floppy port and external connection. (I never did a run of my final revision because it wasn't feasible because of lack of demand / complaints about not using hard gold (which btw still has yet to be an issue for me)

You have an IBM XT and you have replaced the stock bios with Sergey Kisilev’s BIOS or you’re running the stock IBM BIOS and you have Sergey’s XT-IDE bios in ROM? When you say XT-IDE are you referring to an 8-bit XT IDE controller or do you mean a lowtech or Sergey’s? When you say XT-FD controller do you mean Sergey’s FDC or are you referring to an original IBM XT FDC?

I’m going to assume that you mean that you have an IBM XT with stock BIOS and one of Sergey’s XT-CF and one of Sergey’s floppy/serial controller cards. In that case you simply need to verify that you have both the XT-CF ROM and floppy rom installed. You should be able to tell where they are installed by running Checkit memory map. That will tell you where the ROMs are installed and if you need to change the jumpers so that there’s no conflicts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20

On the face of it, a requirement of 'combining' the two BIOS' does not make sense to me.

As an example, if I was putting those two cards together in my IBM XT, I would configure the XT-IDE to start its ROM at address E0000, and configure the XT-FDC to start its ROM at address D0000.

Are you aware that by default, to boot from A: drive, you need to press the 'a' key when the XTIDE Universal BIOS' boot screen (see [here]) appears ?
If you are aware of that, l can try a boot-from-floppy with an XT-IDE/XT-FDC combination in my IBM XT.

Are you referring to the prototype of the XT-FDC ?

Prototype shown at [here].
'Released' shown at [here].

Modem 7, thank you, yes I was referring to the prototype.

I have the older xt-ide bios installed. you can select the boot device with the arrow keys. When selected it just does not boot. I tried my Compaticard I and IV with the same setup and boots fine.

I will try changing the recommended address for each bios.

Thank you

Modem 7, thank you, yes I was referring to the prototype.
As expected, being a prototype, it had some issues fixed. See [here]. There is also a fix being on a particular IC, to disconnect pin 16 from the IC socket, then wire the disconnected pin to ground. And I seem to recall that there was a second prototype, but maybe the second became what was released.

I will try changing the recommended address for each bios.
If that does not work, I can try to replicate the symptom here. I would need from you:
* IBM XT: Revision of motherboard
* IBM XT: BIOS revision on motherboard
* XT-IDE: Base I/O address (normally 300 hex)
* XT-IDE: Version of XTIDE Universal BIOS (e.g. 1.1.5)

Thank you, it will be this weekend but I will make the changes. I will post back the results . I want to build a XT-FDC with an easy accessible external connector. This one is the 5th one I have put together. I have given 4 away to friends but they do not have them installed with an XT-IDE. The XT-FDC and XT-IDE have been installed in this machine for a few years, I had just never tried to boot from a floppy.

I guess by best option would be to get the design files and have pay someone modify the production version to eliminate the second connector and move the external connector closer to the bracket.

Thank you again for all the help.

Jimmy

I looked through my files and it looks like I have the original eagle files for the prototype. I build an early board for out friend Thomas and installed it in a extra XT I had. Thomas was still living in Las Vegas then. I just need to find someone who has the skill set to make the modifications.

Thank you, it will be this weekend but I will make the changes. I will post back the results .
I had some time, and so I did a quick test. I used a 'minimum' configuration.

Test successful. See following. Of course, you may have a different configuration.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PART 1 OF 2 - 360K OPERATION

I have an IBM XT, containing a motherboard of version 64-256KB, with the motherboard fitted with the 11/08/82 revision of BIOS.

From it, I removed all cards except for the IBM CGA card.

I added an XT-IDE REV 02 card, that:
- was jumpered to have its BIOS ROM start at address E0000.
- had ' XUB version 1.1.5' BIOS in its BIOS ROM;

I powered on the IBM XT.
I saw a 601 error, but that was expected because no floppy controller/drive was fitted.
I pressed F1 to continue the boot.

XUB 1.1.5 displayed its boot banner and boot menu, then booted to the CF card on the XT-IDE.

Fine so far.

I then added my known-good prototype XT-FDC, that:
- was jumpered to have its BIOS ROM start at address D0000;
- had 'Multi-Floppy BIOS, Version 2.2' BIOS in its BIOS ROM;
- had the above BIOS configured for one 360K drive;
- had a 360K drive attached to the primary connector.

I powered on the IBM XT.

As expected, no 601 error this time.

The BIOS on the XT-FDC displayed its banner for a few seconds.

The screen cleared and then XUB 1.1.5 displayed its boot banner and boot menu, then booted to the CF card.

I rebooted the IBM XT, and this time, when XUB 1.1.5 displayed its boot banner and boot menu, I choose to boot from A:
The known-good 360K boot floppy that I used booted successfully.

PART 2 OF 2 - 1.2M OPERATION

I then swapped the 360K drive for a 1.2M one.

I then removed the XT-IDE card, primarily so that "Press F2 ..." will be displayed by the XT-FDC's BIOS.
Via F2, I then reconfigured the XT-FDC's BIOS for a single 1.2M drive.

I rebooted the IBM XT (at this time, only with IBM CGA and XT-FDC cards).

The known good 1.2M boot floppy that I used booted successfully.

Powered off.

I then added the XT-IDE card.

I powered on the IBM XT.
The BIOS on the XT-FDC displayed its banner for a few seconds.
When the XUB 1.1.5 displayed its boot banner and boot menu, I choose to boot from A:
The 1.2M boot floppy that I used booted successfully.

I have an xt-ide and xt-fdc set as d0000 and e0000 respectively. The system boots but no f2 screen appears for the xt-fdc, goes on to boot from the hdd and A: fdd is accessable

With the xt-ide installed if I press "a" quickly it boots from A: drive. Still can't get to the FDC bios to change disk size. I'll try without xt-ide .

I have an xt-ide and xt-fdc set as d0000 and e0000 respectively. The system boots but no f2 screen appears for the xt-fdc, goes on to boot from the hdd and A: fdd is accessable
With the xt-ide removed, the system boots to A: drive without the F2 screen.
With the xt-ide installed if I press "a" quickly it boots from A: drive. Still can't get to the FDC bios to change disk size. I'll try without xt-ide .
You have a different card (it is not an XT-FDC) and problem to what the OP has.
I have added a post to the active thread [here] that you have running on your problem.
In my opinion, this thread is not appropriate.

The error I get when I try to boot from A is Error 2h!. and then it proceeds to boot from drive c:

I have not made the recommended changes I wanted to provide as much information as possible about the original configuration.

I can read and write to the floppies, I was able to format a: using the /s option and create a bootable diskette. I have not tried to boot with an original MsDos diskette, but I will try later.

Below as some screen shots. The XT-IDE is revision 3.

Thank all of you again for all the help.

Attachments

• BootA.jpg
    BootA.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 13
  • FormatA.jpg
    FormatA.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 12
  • XT-FDC.jpg
    XT-FDC.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 10
  • XT-IDE.jpg
    XT-IDE.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 10
The error I get when I try to boot from A is Error 2h
Error number 2h (returned by INT13h) is 'Missing address mark'.

I can get my XT-IDE card to produce the 'Error 2h!' error by putting a unformatted floppy into A: drive then getting the XT-IDE to attempt a boot from A:

My A: drive is a 360K one. 'Error 2h!' also appears if I accidentally try to boot from a known good 1.2M sized boot floppy.

I expect the same error if I was using a misaligned drive, and a floppy that had been formatted in an aligned drive.

I was able to format a: using the /s option and create a bootable diskette.
When you write "bootable", does that mean that you then proved for fact that the floppy is bootable elsewhere? If not, you have a floppy of unknown 'bootable' status.

Back