• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel 387 SX on a 40-pin SIMM

FunctionalLimits

Experienced Member
This is really just one of those idle-curiosity questions... I've found a 387SX mounted on a little PCB with a 40-pin SIMM connector. The PCB is labeled "NUMERIC SIMM." Does anybody know what device(s) used this?

i387_NumericSIMM.jpg

This is really just one of those idle-curiosity questions... I've found a 387SX mounted on a little PCB with a 40-pin SIMM connector. The PCB is labeled "NUMERIC SIMM." Does anybody know what device(s) used this?

View attachment 19023

Just when you though that you've seen everything . . . A 387 numerical processor that appears to fit into an empty RAM slot. Possibly for a 386 mobo that doesn't have a NP socket? Is there anyway you that you might have access to a 386 and could try it out? If you get tired of it maybe we could work something out.

Just when you though that you've seen everything . . . A 387 numerical processor that appears to fit into an empty RAM slot. Possibly for a 386 mobo that doesn't have a NP socket? Is there anyway you that you might have access to a 386 and could try it out? If you get tired of it maybe we could work something out.
Do you know of any 386 boards that have 40 pin RAM slots? :)

I think that was designed for laptops. Pop a cover, fill the slot, close the cover. I wish I could find an online teardown of the Compaq SLT 386s since that was what popped into my mind on seeing the "numeric SIMM."

View attachment 19023

I have found one of the few laptops that use these.
i've just bought a laptop for my collection at a flea market, it's a Triumph adler walkstation 3/25xl
not much information exists on this laptop or the company (read somewhere this maybe was a daughter brand of Olivetti) (some ic's are labeled acer, msd in dos said so too)
i wondered what the slot on the motherboard was for, when i saw co-processor not populated in the bios i ended up here
i've attached some photos of the slot aswell as the laptop.

20180108_032638.jpg 20180108_041053.jpg 20180108_032959.jpg 20180108_032800.jpg

specs:
386sx
1664mb ram
72mb hdd
vga monochrome
1.44mb floppy

if you don't need it anymore, i would love to buy it from you since the odds aren't very high i'll find someone else who has one.

Back