• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Irma 3270 Emulator

Beerhunter

Experienced Member
Does anyone have a soft copy of the Irma software that goes with the Irma card?

I am trying to talk to an IBM 3174 Controller and need a CUT terminal emulator.

What version of card?

I thought that the Irma cards all worked with all level of software. I'll take a look at our cards next time I am in the Museum.

Some the cards can be set up as IBM cards and can use the IBM Personal Communications software, but often that results in a DFT session...

I have many copies of PCom (being an IBM Museum) and will take a look at it when I am next in.

IIRC MYTE, on which the later versions of PCOM were based may have supported Irma but I don't remember that getting into the product.

Last edited:
Oh its you. Should have noticed. Surely you can find a CUT terminal to configure a 3174! I don't (think) I have the IRMA software, but I do have a fairly late copy of Attachmate Extra which I think also works with the IRMA card (well Attachmate bought IRMA) and some Attchamate PCI co-ax cards. I also have some Nokia CO-AX terminals that are CUT devices if you need to borrow one...

Oh its you. Should have noticed. Surely you can find a CUT terminal to configure a 3174! I don't (think) I have the IRMA software, but I do have a fairly late copy of Attachmate Extra which I think also works with the IRMA card (well Attachmate bought IRMA) and some Attchamate PCI co-ax cards. I also have some Nokia CO-AX terminals that are CUT devices if you need to borrow one...

There was a ton of this stuff (ISA and PCI cards from varous vendors mostly) that showed up fairly cheap on eBay earlier this year, so I tried to fill in holes in CHM's collection.
Turns out we don't have very much token ring, or coax and twinax kit, which would be a drag if someone ever actually wanted to put together a 80's period network here.

Surely you can find a CUT terminal to configure a 3174! I don't (think) I have the IRMA software, but I do have a fairly late copy of Attachmate Extra which I think also works with the IRMA card (well Attachmate bought IRMA) and some Attchamate PCI co-ax cards. I also have some Nokia CO-AX terminals that are CUT devices if you need to borrow one...
The museum in question is actually in the IBM lab that invented the 3270 colour/graphics terminal (the 3279) but we do not have one working one. (We have one prototype, two broken GA level boxes and only one keyboard between the three of them.) As to 3278s, IBM UK used to be run alive with the things but I not found a single one left anywhere.

Thank you for your kind offer but I would rather not borrow kit because it is all so fragile these days. Are you able to cut an image of the Attachment software?

Let me see if I can find a combo that works. I have a selections of cards and software and a 3174 so I should be able to get a setup that works. Actually on thinking about it I think that the IBM PCMCIA adaptor with a late version of PC COMMS will generate a CUT session. Do you have a PCMCIA 3270 adaptor?

Ok, well so far I have failed miserably. No drivers for any IRMA or Attachmate cards locatable any where, not that it would matter as the Attachmate Extra! I have doesn't seem to support 3270 CO_AX connections, according to the help. I can't find my IBM PCMCIA 3270 adaptor card, or my PCOMMS 4.x which I believe supports CUT mode terminals on CO-AX....

Next thing to try is ISA Attachmate Advanced 3270 adaptor with DOS version of IBM 3270 adaptor......

... and if that doesn't work I'll drive down with a Nokia 3270, but can you wait until I retire in October. I really wanted to come on the BCS visit but not sure I can get the day off work....

OK more playing tonight with interesting but useless results. I have set my Attachmate ISA card to IBM mode and loaded the drivers from PCOMM 5.7 but the card fails with memory error when I try and load a session, but I think its a clash in the BIOS. I can't test the card as I don't have a 5.25" drive and the diagnostic disk is on 5.25" floppy.

I tried loading the IBM DOS emulator in Windows ME and that sucks as well....
... I need to get my Windows/95 machine back....

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I am afraid that this is having to go on the back burner for now while we sort out some new exhibits.

I know this is on the back burner, but I thought I would update you. I bought a copy of Irma for DOS from the USA. Only $15 for the software and $15 for shipping. I installed it on a WINME machine as that's the only machine I have at present with a floppy drive.

Much to my surprise, it seems to be ready to start a session, but my 3174 is in a different room so I can't do a proper test. However it does fail when I take the IRMA card out so pretty sure its working properly...

.. if you have an ISA IRMA card i'll image the disks to a CD and post it to you...

That is exactly what we have Dave. Thanks for the offer which I'd like to take up.

BTW, I checked the PCOMM documentation today and for coax comms, it only supports the various flavors of the Diego card. That is to say, it does not support the Irma card.

OK I will get on to imaging the disks, hopefully get sorted this weekend as its a long weekend.

Also pretty sure in the dim and distant past I have had an IRMA card working with PCOMMS but perhaps my memory is playing up, I had a feeling it used a lot of BUS resources when in IBM mode, but perhaps its the SDLC card I am thinking of......

Its not really important at this point as all the PCOMMS I can find, and I think I have a 2.x, 4.x and 5.6 and 5.7 only seem to support DFT which is no use for configuring a 3174.

I do have some of these working with a PCMCIA 3270 card, well again as far as I have tested, they find the card and detect no 3174 attached...

Yes its annoying about that DFT mode. The Diago card is perfectly happy in CUT mode because the original 3270PC CP could run in either mode. (So it could work with 3274s that did not support DFT.)

BTW, the CCS visit to Hursley in September is on but shan't be there.

Back