• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Is there a way to bootstrap a sol-20 with northstar dos over serial?

glitch

Veteran Member
Sure, use Dave Dunfield's NST (North Star Transfer). You'll need a monitor of some sort on the SOL-20, but Dave provides his ROM-only monitor.

smp

Veteran Member
Sure, use Dave Dunfield's NST (North Star Transfer). You'll need a monitor of some sort on the SOL-20, but Dave provides his ROM-only monitor.

Hi,

I apologize for jumping in on this thread, but I have a similar situation.

I have a solid working IMSAI with a Compupro CPU-Z processor, and a Compupro RAM-17 (64K RAM) board, and a S100computers.com SIO board. I have my own system monitor, cobbled together from the TDL Zap monitor, and an Intel hex file loader.

I just purchased an old Northstar single density disk controller, version MDC-A4, and so far it has tested out OK. I can execute the boot PROM at E900 and the head loads and pulls back to track zero position, and then, nothing of course, because I do not have a boot disk.

I have been searching around for Dave Dunfield's NST - the version that allows you to start from nothing, and (hopefully) get the old single density Northstar DOS into the computer and written out to a disk.

Can anyone please provide me a pointer to where to get this? I apologize in advance, but even though I have been searching for this, I have not been able to find it.

Thanks very much, in advance for your attention and assistance!

smp

MikeS

Veteran Member
I have been searching around for Dave Dunfield's NST - the version that allows you to start from nothing, and (hopefully) get the old single density Northstar DOS into the computer and written out to a disk.

Can anyone please provide me a pointer to where to get this? I apologize in advance, but even though I have been searching for this, I have not been able to find it.

Thanks very much, in advance for your attention and assistance!

smp
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm