• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I've acquired my 2nd 5150

Nothing wrong, I hooked up one of my Tandons to my 486 and successfully read a disk.

In order to get things onto my 5150 quick and dirty-like, I download files on my main Linux machine, put them onto a USB drive and move them to my Win98/ME hybrid machine, put everything on a 3.5" disk (including the disk imaging software my 486 definitely does not have), put that into my 486, run the disk imaging software and format/write to 360k disk, then insert that into the 5150. It works.

What I'm not sure of is when I run diags.com, I end up with a cursor and the disk spinning forever...

Edit: I used this image --->https://winworldpc.com/download/95756056-d602-11e8-9b71-fa163e9022f0

Last edited:
What I'm not sure of is when I run diags.com, I end up with a cursor and the disk spinning forever...
One is not meant to run EXE or COM files on those IBM diagnostics floppies. One boots from the floppy, and does things via the menu.

The following is an example of a problem:
From the fifth edition of Mueller's 'Upgrading and Repairing PCs' book.
"the problem was that SHIPDISK.COM parks the heads then executes a software interrupt to return to the diagnostics-disk menu, and unpredictable things can happen (including stray disk writes) if the program was not run from the diagnostics-disk menu."

I'm getting the following:

SYSTEM UNIT 500
0:04:25
ERROR - 24 BAD ADDR MARK
DISKETTE DRIVE A: IS DOUBLE SIDED
0:04:26
ERROR - SYSTEM UNIT 601

0:04:57
ERROR - SYSTEM UNIT 902

Got rid of the first one, apparently I had an HD disk installed...

Can't seem to find info on the 902, and I'm getting a 1704 thanks to the bum hard drive. It actually tried to seek, write, and read once. The noises it made did not give me hope.

Last edited:
Can't seem to find info on the 902 ...
The diagnostic floppy is used together with the diagnostic maps at [here].
You would end up being directed to 'MAP 0900: Parallel Port Start', which is the document at [here].
Because you have a 5150, that document directs you to 'MAP 0900: Printer Adapter'
Follow the instructions in that.

( It sounds like you have an IBM Printer Adapter in your 5150. )

Got rid of the first one, apparently I had an HD disk installed..
This one has a Quadram Quadboard with a parallel port.
Know that IBM expect:
- An all-IBM computer; only IBM equipment (motherboards, cards, etc.)
- An IBM approved configuration. For example, IBM never approved of a hard drive in an IBM 5150.
- An IBM approved configuration. Certain IBM cards are not certified for use in an IBM 5150.

Normally, from what I have seen, the IBM Diagnostics examine the computer, then present a list of things that the diagnostics found. It then asks you if the list is correct. If the list shows cards/options that do not exist, you should not be answering with a Y.

Regarding the parallel port on the Quadboard. Maybe it is faulty, but maybe there is some sort of incompatibility with the IBM Diagnostics disk. IBM will only have tested their diagnostics with IBM equipment (motherboards, cards, etc.)

Perhaps try third party diagnostics such as CheckIt.

I will try removing the board tomorrow. The diagnostic software sees the extra 384k of RAM and the joystick port on the Quadboard, and it sees the hard drive and attempts to test it. One time it actually tried to read/write, but I don't think the heads moved. Other times it doesn't see the hard drive at all. I don't have much hope for getting that to work, though it would be cool.

I’d take out the hard drive controller card for now. What type is the hard drive controller ? E.g. adaptec , western digital…
It should have its own bios rom and that might conflict with something else, like memory card or color display adapter ?

I say this because my memory card (fastcardIV) has a rom at C800 and my hard drive controller rom (adaptec) is also at C800. Not a happy situation.

Back