• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Jumper rich toshiba 5.25 trying to get going in a pentium 133 as second drive.

bcg1976

Trying for two drive at once on tge same cable.

To me, the attached photo should be right for jumpers as the second 5.25 drive. i am using a cable with a twist with this drive on the end and a later model 3.5 as the a drive. When connected, the 3.5 stops working but the 5.25 does.

bios values are sensible but the 5.25 is a in dos and 3.5 is b.

is it the cable twist? Or can I not remember something obvious from 1995?

TIA,
Brad

Attachments

• IMG20240516155218.jpg
    IMG20240516155218.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 13
The DS/MUX jumper (located next to the cable connector) should be in the DS position.

The DS/MUX jumper (located next to the cable connector) should be in the DS position.
Now, I thought that too. But it didn't seem to make any difference. The 3.5 doesn't have any jumpers populated so i was assuming it would be set to cable select. Will try again.

Now, I thought that too. But it didn't seem to make any difference. The 3.5 doesn't have any jumpers populated so i was assuming it would be set to cable select. Will try again.
Many newer model 3.5" drives designed for use only with PCs have no obvious drive select jumpers, and are manufactured to follow the "PC standard" of always being set to the second drive select. As you said, it is their position before or after the cable twist that determines whether they are assigned as drive A or B.

Have you gone into the BIOS settings for this computer, and specified the which type of drive is the "A" drive and which is the "B" drive?

And twisted cables with "standard" jumpering results in the end connector being "A" and the one before the twist being "B".

For both drives they need the Drive select jumpers to be in the second position.
So, that would be DS1 if the drives are marked as DS{0..3} or DS2
if they are marked as DS{1..4}.

The 5.25 will be at the end of the cable with the Terminator installed.

Larry

Back