• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kayplus boot disk solution?

waltermixxx

Experienced Member
Hi there, I was wondering if there was ever a solution to creating a working boot disk for the KAYPLUS rom.
I created a rom, and tested it without a boot disk, and I get the Monitor * prompt, and I was able to examine memory,
change boot drive etc. :) it was very cool.... ROM working - Yup!

Then i went to the process of creating a boot disk....
Tried to run KAYCNFG program and I had the same issue most folks have had, 63K is too large.
I also tried the movcpm 62.00 command, and movcpm6200 and that does not seem to work either. Seems to just hang.

is there a version of movcpm that works on the kaypro so i can create a smaller version of cp/m for the KAYPLUS rom?
is it possible to bypass this portion and use a ready made 6200.sys file? :)

just wondering what my best option is...

I am unable to currently create a disk from an image, as my Tandy 1000 sl/2 eeprom seems to be pooched so the computer will not see the b: drive for some reason... so I am unable to create the disk from the image...)

is there a guide to creating an image from a 1 disk drive dos system? :)

I did successfully burn and install, and generate boot disks for the TURBO rom, but I wanted to mess around with the KAYPLUS rom as well,
i like the monitor, it's cool... :)

Cheers. :)

I am also open to offers to have a formated kayplus boot disk sent to me, i could paypal for the expense. :)

I am in toronto, ontario, Canada. :) Kaypro 4/84 :)

cheers. :)
postal code: M5S 2X9

Last edited:
waltermixxx,
I've never used the movcpm command, but I believe the correct command for generating a 62K system is:
movcpm 62 *
which reconfigures CP/M for a 62K bytes of Memory while movcpm * * reconfigures CP/M for all available Memory.

Larry

Perhaps a stretch, but if someone has a 62 k cp/m boot disk for a kaypro, and is going to the VCF in Elk Grove, ILL. Happy to trade or purchase it from you. :0)

Well I have a tandy 1000 TL working with a compact Flash 256meg storage device, 2 x 3.5" floppy drives and a nice 5.25" 360k drive.
i have a kayplus .imd disk image that i am trying to write to a floppy on this computer... I am having trouble with the settings...
not sure what to put for:

#cylinders
double step
interleave
500kb/s > 250
300kb/s > 250
250kb/s >250

these settings will create a boot disk, and I can boot my kayplus Kaypro 4 system, and I can read a directory, but i cannot run any of the programs on the disk...
so some setting above may be messed up... :) help? i am so close...

FYI the drive on the tandy is fine and the two drives on the kaypro are also good...

Well after doing some documentation reading... ( imagine that...) I used the IMDA program to analyze the image, and give me hints on what settings to use...
I adopted those settings... and creating the image now... ..... ..... and we have success :)

I'm so glad I learned to read in junior school, and so glad it occurred to me to check the help file. :)

To the creator of IMD, thank you. and thank you for the great help file as well :)

i finally got KAYPLUS rom running....

Last edited:
Back