• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

[KAYPRO 10] Boot Problems! Help?

Great news! Yes, please do try the ROM out on the K2 as well - provided it makes sense (depends on the symptoms, the ROM probably won't help trace smoke back to it's origin ;-) And keep providing feedback. Efforts like these will help write the "Troubleshooting Kaypros" document, let alone improve the monitor. I made the change to the T FLPY (et al.) output, version 2.3 is now out there. Hopefully that will help in the future, too.

Yeah, there's a whole series of diskettes needed, although I think the first one will get you a bootable harddrive(?). Maybe 2 is also required... I forget what I figured out going through that. Do you have the rest of the images? They should be "out there" someplace.

Regarding the "T CRTC" problem, I am also seeing that on my 2X. I obviously have something broken in that code, and will have to work on it some more. Stay tuned... but don't throw away your SY6545's yet! (yet another subtle difference between simulator and real hardware).

ah old hardware... got to reinstall a reload, parked the head to shut it down.... and then the hard drive fails on boot now BDos error , I think the TM502 has just lost its last breath.
I wonder if I can just slap another hard drive in it. or do I need to make a special process... ?

I don't have experience with that, but I hear that some other drives may be compatible with the controller. Of course, they have to use the same interface plus need to have >= geometry. There's also a Kaypro FreHD solid-state replacement.

FYI, I found the problem with the T CRTC command. Turns out, the 6545 might trigger the Update bit multiple times during a single retrace, and I was assuming that happened only once. So, I needed to keep resetting the Update bit while waiting for it to go "off" (stay off). It now works on my 2X, ran the command many times (90+), and with a larger update count (6), and saw no hangs. Version 2.4 is out there.

I have started work on a Diagnosing Kaypros Guide here: http://sebhc.durgadas.com/kaypro/diags.pdf. The scope of the document is after you've verified power supplies, capacitors, etc and are able to run the monitor.

The latter half of the document is just copy-over from the monitor document - still to be written. But it's a start. Let me know what you think, additions, corrections, etc.

Back