• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 2X boot disks

Endersending

Experienced Member
I have a Kaypro 2x I am trying to gt running but I am confused with ROM versions and which CP/m version to use.
The machine says 2X on the side. It has the modem, RTC, 2 double sided 1/2 height drives. Seems like it wants to boot.
The motherboard is 81-184 REV B.
The ROM is 81-478

From what I have read, the Kaypro 2x uses CP/m 2.2G. I have also found that the 478 ROM needs 2.2U

Which version on CP/m should boot this machine?

I have been looking through Maslin Retroarchive and using teledisk to create images but everything I have tried has not booted, or looks like it wants to boot but doesn't go anywhere.

I also have a flashfloppy(gotek) that I have tried HFE images on and nothing wants to work.

Any questions, comments or ideas would be awesome.

As far as I know whatever ROM version you have you have to find the matching CP/M. So it seems to be 2.2U. I have a 292 ROM and use 2.2G. What are you creating your floppies on? I stuck a 360k drive into my DOS machine so I could make floppies. This worked with no problems. If you're using a 1.2Mb drive you might want to make sure it's been bulk erased if it was already formatted.

I am using a 486DX with an adaptec scsi controller with onboard floppy (does 128 byte sectors) The floppy drive is out of a IBM 5170 360K drive that works great on other machines.
There are 3 images marked 2.2u on that site I linked above. 2 of them are marked K10 reload and from what I have read that is to install onto a hard drive?
I have tried the KAYPRO1 image and it wants to boot but just hangs.
Maybe I need to look into hardware problems?

Also: If I booted with a 2.2G disk, it would still try to boot and just hang because the address don't match? Most disks just say 'not a system disk' when trying to boot

Last edited:
The machine is booting.
I don't know what I was doing wrong. I tried the Kaypro1 image before and it did not boot. I have the floppy drive sitting on its side and maybe I put the disk in upside down? I almost did it just now but caught myself. User error I guess.
I do want to say that I feel like I wouldn't have figured it out without posting here. Just learning that matching the ROM to the software is how you figure out which boot disk to use. thank you very much for the help. I will try some software and give a summary on the state of the machine with some pictures.
This image works for my Kaypro 2x:

KAYPRO1DSDDCP/M 2.2U1 System DiskUniversal ROM

Back