• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro help

New2vtgpc

Experienced Member
I picked up an usual (to me anyway) kaypro kc-1 which appears to be an ibm clone from late 80s running a 8088. However I cant find any info on a dos boot disk...or the disk I need to access bios settongs etc.... Any ideas?

That probably does not need much special software, and should run vanilla MS-DOS just fine.

However, there is a "Microsoft MS-DOS 3.21 [KayPro OEM] (5.25-360k)" on Winworldpc that looks like it has a few support files for the kpc series. Might give that a try.

Might have to...once I figure out how to put it on a 5.25 floppy... Probably best way would be to copy files to 3.5 floppy on main pc...then put that into older machine and copy from 3.5 to 5.25?

Yes, that is usually the quickest way. Just be aware you will probably need format the disk low density 720k (cover the density notch) unless the machine happens to have a high density controller card in it. That also means if you are using a USB floppy drive on a newer system you will need to make sure it supports 720k (some crappy ones don't). Also, use Winimage to resize the bootable DOS disk images from 360k to 720k.

Yes, that is usually the quickest way. Just be aware you will probably need format the disk low density 720k (cover the density notch) unless the machine happens to have a high density controller card in it. That also means if you are using a USB floppy drive on a newer system you will need to make sure it supports 720k (some crappy ones don't). Also, use Winimage to resize the bootable DOS disk images from 360k to 720k.

Idk what type it is....i found an ad online that says it has a 360k floppy...but only 1. Someone installed a 2nd 5.25 floppy and I have yet to figure out what it is.

Back